Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Biggest Caliber On A 98

brian923

i was just wondering whats the biggest caliber cartridge that can be put into a mauser 98 action, and still be safe. even if loaded hot. what have you guys done that you really think is the ultimate rifle build? thanks guys, brian

I have a 300 weatherby.

Some of the better English gun builders used 98 to make 375 H&Hs. Safe? The Mauser company frowned on the practice but I've bever heard of one blowing up.

i was just wondering whats the biggest caliber cartridge that can be put into a mauser 98 action, and still be safe. even if loaded hot. what have you guys done that you really think is the ultimate rifle build? thanks guys, brian

Brian I understand wanting bragging rights on a Howitzer you have built yourself. Get on board here with the exact action you have. I wouldn't recomend building a biggie on a Turk.

yeah, im just playing around with the idea of a big, big bore, but dont know if ill do it or not. i dont plan on going to an african safarie in my liftime(though it would be awsome) i just dont see the need of a huge caliber huntin rifle for north american game. although. large caliber rifles are way cool!!!

whats the best action to use when buildin a custom rifle? i think that teh turk i have is going to be a good starter for my first. and when i grow better at the work, then ill get into the more costly, better actions. i know that lots of guys out there say to use BAT or one of actions to build awsome guns, but... they all origonated from one desing. and i think that the mauser can make a killer accurate rifle. thanks guys, for all you help, and info. brian

The biggest factory cartridge you'll shoehorn into an M98 is a 458 Win Mag. Its done commonly enough although several gunsmiths I know frown on doing it. If you do want to tinker with a big bore, you will want to locate a large ring 98 action - a Turk doesn't leave you with enough barrel diameter around the chamber for a safe chamber.

If you want to play with a big bore on a Mauser, you surely can and Midway still has inexpensive 458 Winnie and 416 Taylor barrels for sale that'll git-r-done. But...if you're serious about a working with big bores, try and look around for an M1917 or P14 Enfield action. They're build like a long Mauser and will feed anything safely that you can shove through the breech.

Just a little food for thought. Everyone needs a cannon - I've got two that I want!

Brian your best bet, especially on your first project is to keep it as simple as possible. If you start out with a complicated project you will get easily frustrated, tempted to throw in the towel and it becomes to much like getting up and going to work on your day off. You may want to consider something like a 35 Whelen, 338/06 or 358 Winchester for your first project if you like big bores. Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a large bore cannon though. I have no plans on an African Safari and when I’m asked about my 458 and what will I shoot with it, I answer “anything I want”.

• 5 months later...

.550 Express. 700 grain bullet at 2200 fps. The .585 Nyati can be made to work too, but according to what I have read, it is not in any way practical.

I think the .550 Express would be considered a DD in the US, so it would probably have to be necked to no larger than .510 to avoid class 3 registration issues.

You can find lots more info here: http://www.470mbogo.com/BigBoreCompendium/

• 1 month later...