Military Firearm Restoration Corner

96 Swede .250 Savage

scott63

Here is the swede I put together for my daughter. It is a .250 savage, E.R. Shaw barrel, Bell and Carlson stock, Dayton safety, Timney trigger and Leupold scope base and rings. I wanted to taper the trigger guard, but just ran out of time. I had the floor plate engraved after I had bead blasted the whole thing then had it blued. It turned out nice, but the stock is not what I wanted at all. I was very suprised when the stock arrived how THICK it is. To say it resembles a boat oar would be a bit mean spirited, but accurate. I have a Ramline stock that is shaped much nicer but has that "plastic" feel and doesn't look as nice, but if this B&C stock had those dimensions, it would be much nicer. How does it shoot? Factory ammo was grouping between 1.25 and 1.5 inches at 100 yards, recoil was nil. I'm pretty confident that handloads should be able to shrink it down to 1 inch but I'm not sure it's necessary for a 250 yard gun. My daughter is able to put 3 shots into about 3 inches at 100 yards, which is the farthest we'll shoot, so we should be good to go.

I shot my 6.5X55 Twede that I previously posted here, and it continues to amaze me. No matter what load I put behind a 140 grain bullet, it shoots little tiny groups. I plan on experimenting with some 129 grain bullets after deer season.

post-472-1189783407_thumb.jpg

post-472-1189783421_thumb.jpg

.250 is a great, low-recoil deer cartridge! I am sure that your daughter will like it.

You can always restock or tweak whatever you want to about this rifle. It may make it look better (to you), but I doubt that it will improve function at all.

Good on you for getting the kids into the stand!

:) Clemson

Very nice Scott, I take it she was shooting off hand! Still it's good enough for the country side up there where you're at. Next time I'm up there I'll give ya a jingle. Dave

That's a dandy rifle! You may not like the stock,but from here it looks very good.Jerry

Thanks, I know the stock really does look nice, and when you're looking at their website you don't really have any sense of proportion. If they would slim their stocks waaay down, they would be fantastic. As it is, it's very clunky, and not worth the nearly 200 bucks. In fact, the stock is more of what I'd expect on a varmint/tactical rifle not a hunting rifle.

You might consider selling that stock and getting a nice wood stock. Why may I ask did you opt for synthetic? Wood can be lighter, slimmer, and every bit as stable as plastic. proportion is one of the main reasons I do not like synthetics, I can always alter wood to get the proper fit & feel.

Looks good, a nice job!

You might consider selling that stock and getting a nice wood stock. Why may I ask did you opt for synthetic? Wood can be lighter, slimmer, and every bit as stable as plastic. proportion is one of the main reasons I do not like synthetics, I can always alter wood to get the proper fit & feel.

Looks good, a nice job!

My daughter liked the synthetic look, I tried talking her into a nice walnut stock, but she said these "look cool."

Ah, youth and their ignorance!

My daughter liked the synthetic look, I tried talking her into a nice walnut stock, but she said these "look cool."

Ah, youth and their ignorance!

If it's hers and she likes it I wouldn't change a thing.