Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Higher tuition because of Iraq service

fritz

Just read an article in the paper about an Ex-Marine who has applied for admission to Austin Community College, and was told he did not qualify anymore as a Texas resident. He is therefor required to pay $2600 a semester compared to the $500 that is charged a Texas resident.

He was asked for proof of his Texas residency, and he produced his Texas driver license, car registration papers, voter registration card, bank records, and even tax returns.

Still he was refused as a Texas resident. Seems he had served two tours in Iraq, and the Board of Higher Education told him that it was his military service--he had been out of country for too long to still be considered a Texas resident.

What the schitt? Is he supposed to be called an Iraqi resident?

Comptroller Strayhorn and Rep. Suzanna Hupp (R-Lampasas) who represents scores of veterans serving at Fort Hood, has promised to intervene. Their message to the higher education board is that these people who have bullets flying over their head aren't treated properly when they get back.

The former Marine corporal wants to work toward a degree in emergency medical care--a very needed profession.

Hopefully the state government officials will be able to throw a little weight into this thing.

fritz

That just plain is not right.

The former Marine corporal wants to work toward a degree in emergency medical care--a very needed profession.

Hopefully the state government officials will be able to throw a little weight into this thing.

fritz

2549[/snapback]

FC.

Darn trouble making Marine, you know how THEY are.

Those seats and cheaprates are needed for non-documented residents.

Karl

For a world without borders.

Hug the Earth! Save the spotted rats!

We are the world..we are the children.......It takes a village to raise a T-Rex!!!!

The education board doesn't have a leg to stand on legally, state of residence does NOT change for military deployment, EVEN TO ANOTHER STATE. I was stationed at Ft. Hood for three years and kept my WA residency. Somebody is harrassing this vet for their own purposes. I knew a soldier who was stationed at Ft. Hood who had to pay Iowa state tax every year so that he could keep residency there for school.

Jimro

Well, I don't think the so-called board of higher education has a leg to stand on either.

The only reason that it got to this point is that he enlisted in the Marines while living in another state.

But with Strayhorn (our next governor) and others intervening, he will win.

He is a Texan. He was born about 30 miles from me.

fritz