Military Firearm Restoration Corner

M48 Syn Stock

weaver77

is there a company producing synthetic stocks for the m48 or 24/47 besides ati i emailed bell and carlson today and am waiting on a reply as to whether or not they intend to manufacture these i was thinking that if enough people where to pester them about production they might do it here is there email address email@bellandcarlson.com i would really like to put together a 24/47 in one of there medalist or classic stocks or at-least one of similar quality but have not been able to locate a manufature of a quality one any ideas or sugestions

I put a 48 barreled action in an old Bishop walnut stock that was inletted for a '93,'95,or '96 small-ring,with just a little whittling.I've had to do as much fitting with so called drop in fit with other rifles.Jerry

Boyd's and Richards both offer very nice laminated stocks.

The laminates should be every bit as tough, durable, and stable as the synthetics. They have an added advantage of bedding very nicely.

Unless you're looking at a higher end kevlar model synthetic, weight savings between a base model synthetic and laminate should be close; laminates the advantage that additional steps can be taken to further reduce weight (shorten the forend, slim the stock, hollow out the forend and butstock, etc.).

I like both synthetics and laminates; I have an equal number of both in my collection. However, if I had a model that didn't have a synthetic option but had a laminate option, I'd get the laminate without hesitation. I think my next one will be the pepper laminate.

thanks for the replies i am currently putting together a 6mm AI in a boyds pepper laminate lot of glass work action inletting was off i had about a 1/8 gap on the left side of action and the barrel channel is slightly of center to the right all fixable but a pain i would like to build a 260 rem or another 7x57 with a syn stock and stainless #1 contour barrel with say a compact 6x in light weight rings and bases trying to stay around 6.5# total with floor plate but am planning some heavy material removal on triggergaurd i saw one on another post that gave me the idea to drill alot of 1/2" holes in the magazine box instead of cutting sides out like on the other post i hadnt thought of using a 96 stock and opening it up thats a good idea i believe i will order one and give it a try i can always do a little glass and epoxy work on it and repaint to make it look right

rod how thin did the sides of the stock end up around receiver ring after you where finished with yours thanks again james

If your going for a lightweight rifle,Choate is your stock.I'm taking a '96 Swede to Presidio Tex. this year that's in a Choate,and not having weighed it,I think it'd be hard pressed to weigh much over 6lbs.That's with the issue barrel cut to 20'',a Nikon fixed 4x,and a good leather sling.We do a lot of climbing in and out of canyons,and it's the berries to tote around.Maybe this year I can get a mountain lion.Jerry

im not sure i could get used to a composite trigger gaurd my be a steel bow could be fitted to it just my personal preference horsefly you wont find many berries in presido not even at the grocery store if you can find one been in and out of that area a few times last trip was in 03 been hunting in mexico since then almost went back this year may be next anyway good luck on trip and keep us advised of how you fairjamesanddeerDCP_1430.jpg

Good deer W77! I'm with you on the plastic trigger guard and have been putting off for too long making one out of aluminum.That's the one and only thing I don't care for with the Choate.Stainless would look nice if it could be kept thin.It'd be kinda silly to buy a featherweight stock and start adding steel to it,although there wouldn't be much weight gain.I've shot 5 deer in Big Bend,and my largest is close ,but not quite as big as yours.Man I can't wait.Jerry

• 1 month later...

Sorta a follow-on question. With a '93-'95 sm ring mauser synthetic, what sort of tool works well to 'whittle' on synthetic. If I decide to go this route and not modify one of my old Fajen stocks, which are fairly fancy grade wood, my gouges and rasps certainly appear to be out. (I'm a sucker for military mausers and just bought a Yugo 48A and the old military wood is a lost cause.)