Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New One

weaver77

picked up a new mauser today 09 argie super clean action original barrel timney trigger chambered in 308 norma mag headspace is just about prefect if anything alittle tight going to put some loads together to shoot tommarrow starting with .308 first as the bore seems tight for .310 or .311 i heard that the bores on theese ran tight but this is the first one ive had with original barrel DCP_1725.jpg

Congrats!! Don't know if it will work on your rifle. For my Voere 308 Norma I backed off the sizing die, so the brass headspaced on the shoulder and the improvement in accuracy was remarkable. A now deceased friend of mine had nearly an identical set-up as your's. Didn't take him long to have it re-barreled after having it chambered to the Norma. His Argie shot decently with the high priced Norma ammo but his poor accuracy with reloads he blamed on the larger bore. Without writing a few paragraphs about this guy's hard-headed personality. Instead of using larger bullets he just had it re-barreled by McGowen.

loaded up first 20 rounds this evening ended up using 7mm rem mag brass as the 300 win mag brass would just stop in the die when the shoulder hit and i didnt want to aneal any cases this evening i usually only partial resize my cases just enough for the bolt to close without much resitance this really helps if your headspacing is a little on the long side and in most factory rifles i have also seen other guys with short or tight chambers shorten there dies so they could size cases down enough to get the bolt to close sturck me as different ive never had to try it anyone have any load info for 308 norma mag with alliant powders primarily RL 19 RL22 and RL25 closest data i could find was for normas mrp which is supposed to be the same as RL22 if any one has anything pm me with it i would really appreciate it by the way i am already planning changes for this one ( bolt handle and stock for sure) but if i can get it to shoot good enough i will leave it alone untill spring and use it like it is

Weav, your best bet is to reform 338 Win mag brass. You can likely reform it without any trimming. The picture below are both factory rounds, 308 Norma and 338 Winnie. The two are actually closer in appearence than in the picture. I had my camera tilted slightly when I snapped it.

sears040_edited.jpg

Here they are again right of a 300 Winchester

mag-1.jpg

Hopefully the data will appear below. it came to me as an email from Hodgdon. If not send me a private and I'll forward the email to you. Wish I could get my hands on Norma's MRP. I might have something buried deep in my computer on the substitute. I'll look for it and get back. My pet load was Norma MRP and a 200 gr bullet.

I edited the data out looked like sh!t. Send me a private and I'll forward the email from Hodgden. It comes in a nice colered graph that I can't duplicate here. Even though it is only Hodgden data it is by far the most complete I ever found on the 308 Norma.