Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mexican Question

ken98k

I picked up a small ring "98" receiver today. Looks very similar to a 95 except for the guide rib groove.

I tried a Yugo bolt and it seems to fit okay but the rim around the boltface extends beyond the inner c-ring slightly.

I was planning on using an intermediate bolt with the standard 98 type boltface but the cartridge support nubs protrude that much more into the area ahead of the c-ring.

Neither bolt extends beyond the relieved thread area.

What type of boltface did these rifles use?

Can I use one of the bolts I described and shorten the barrel shank to allow for clearance, then seat the barrel against the receiver face?

Kenny

The Mexican Mauser bolts have unique dimensions as noted by the protruberance of the standard intermideiate bolt.

I have not done it but believe that a barrel could be counter bored for the protruding bolt face, and extracter cut made and then the barrel chamberd.

I have three Mexican Mauser receivers and three Yugo bolts just for this. I did pick up and Adams & Bennet 7MM lightweaight barrel also for the first experiment. I don't know when I will get to it though.

Vlad

You can use yugo bolts in the mexicans and Vlad is spot on about how.

If you shorten the shank you could leave too much of the cartridge head unsupported. That's asking for trouble. Be sure whichever route you take you have enogh case head support.

The Turk '1903 bolts that came with the three mexican receivers I bought had the cartridge guide nubs removed. I just got new bolts instead.

Thanks for the info guys.

Would a 1910 mexican bolt work in this receiver?

Yes, 1910 & 1936 bolts will work. the '36 has an additional vent at the top of the boltface and of course, the springfield type cocking piece.

The problem with the mexicans is that the extractor, firing pin, and bolt body are all unique.

• 3 weeks later...

.270 is too long for magazine. .308 would be fine but I'd pick the 7x57 or since it is a 98 and considering where you live a 9.3x57. You can load it hotter than the loads for the 96's dictate if need be for bears. Since you're looking at the .270 how about a 6.5x55?

Mine are all destined to become 7x57's and if I get an extra it'll be a 9.3x57. I've seen them in .376 Steyr, a real power house for the little action.

Congrats on getting the bolt. I just saw a pretty nice 1910 in 6mm Rem with a nice heavy barrel. They used the issue stock but otherwise it seemed pretty nice for the money.

You where abel to get a complete 1910 bolt, with extractor and firing pin? The 1910 firing pin and extractor, like the bolt body, have dimsnions unique to the Mexican models 1910 and 1936. Any model 98 bolt shroud and cocking piece will fit though. I think a Yugo intermediate length firning pin could be modified to the 1910 dimensions if you had an original 1910 to work from and copy but the extractor is an altogether different animal.

Vlad

You where abel to get a complete 1910 bolt, with extractor and firing pin? The 1910 firing pin and extractor, like the bolt body, have dimsnions unique to the Mexican models 1910 and 1936. Any model 98 bolt shroud and cocking piece will fit though. I think a Yugo intermediate length firning pin could be modified to the 1910 dimensions if you had an original 1910 to work from and copy but the extractor is an altogether different animal.

Vlad

Yes, I got the complete bolt. Came with the standard 98 type shroud.