Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Another Mauser Guild Gun

z1r

Here's another recent acquisition. A 27" octagon barrel with integral front sight and swell for the rear dovetail. Came with the base for a sidemount that I was lucky enough to have the detachable ringmount for. I paid the enormous sum of $199 for it. I was shopping for actions at Sarco and they were out of about all of their 98 sporter actions. Then the lady says, "well, I have one more in 8x57 but it has been drilled for a side mount and has an octagon barrel." I said, "an octagon barrel, how's the bore." She say's, "good." I say, "I'll take it." Didn't expect much other than to possibly salvage the barrel for a client's project. Rebores of octagons are always popular with my clients.

Anyway, it's in stellar shape. Has had an interesting side safety added that locks the bolt and blocks the trigger. Inletting on the slide is so-so but a neat addition. Anyway, the headspace is generous and I have too many 8x57's so it will be sent off to Jim Dubbell for reboring to 9.3x62.

DSC00308.jpg

Hot darn Mike! Nice shootin' iron. I'm guessing that this is one of the by-products of having an FFL??

And here I thought I'd been making lots of acquisitions lately... Lucky you!

Hot darn Mike! Nice shootin' iron. I'm guessing that this is one of the by-products of having an FFL??

And here I thought I'd been making lots of acquisitions lately... Lucky you!

I guess you could call it that but truthful, as long as I'd had an FFL willing to receive it I wouldn't have needed my ffl.

I do get lucky sometimes. Problem is, I now (For the first time ever) HAVE to sell off some of my guns to pay for these two.

The best I almost did when I had a FFL was an excellent Nazi marked WW2 Browning High Power in the original hard shell holster with the US GI capture papers. I traded it straight across with a cop uniform customer for a nib sporting Browning BAR rifle that I got cheap as part a package deal. Sure enough I had to open my mouth to my crybaby business partner and it had to go on sale rather then in my vault. I intended to reimburse the business for the cost of the rifle. I made certain a collector friend got it, let him have for 425 I think. I was so ticked off at my partner over it, amongst other things, there was no way I was going to help line his pocket with the deal. He was an anti-gun lib and the guns were a sore spot with us. At the time mid 80's, if I really was going to sell it I would have looked for at least a grand.