Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Maui

FC

Maui pictures

Hi folks,

We went ahead and used this weekend to go to Maui. I'm not used to seeing so many white people anymore. Here on Oahu we are the definite minority. Guess all the college kids and elderly think Maui is the place to go. The islands all have their own things to see, so I haven't seen one better than the other out of Oahu, Maui, or The Big Island.

A lot of stuff is touristy, and geared to get money from tourists. You always see surfing, clothes, towels, and trinkets for sale. The natural sites are the best. I'm still not into the Island Culture stuff, but I do like a nice site as much as the next guy. The Islands aren't like you expect. Maui has huge sugarcane fields, places where it's cold, Paniolos (cowboys), and areas that look like out of Roadrunner. The temperatures, terrain, vegetation, and rainfall change a lot. You end up on roads that have no outlet, so you have to backtrack, or the road becomes a dirt road, and you have to turn back. Some of the people are nice, and, as one person said, you run into creeps too. We had a big run-in with a guy who was probably a "Portugee" (Portugese descent). Here we were on the most winding road I've ever seen, where speed limits are usually 15 mph, and this guy is blowing his horn, waving his arms, and cussing at the lot of us going a little over the speed limit. We had a major run-in with him, and I ended up filing a police report, to make the story short. He'll probably just get a talking to, unless the guy is on probation, which wouldn't surprise me, as crazed as he was. The best sites were Hana Highway, Haleakua, and the beach with the strong surf that you'll see pictures of. Prices are pretty bad, and, like The Big Island, food and gas are even higher than Oahu. Getting a combination deal on flight, room, and rental car is the way to go. You have to watch the rental cars, because they don't clean them very well, and you can end up with a pretty banged up car if you aren't paying attention.

Hi Tony. Man that's a big coconut!!! What did/does it weigh? My boss has visited the islands. He agrees, the cost of food is terrible. The scenery is beutifull, thanks for the picks. Dave : :D

The coconut still had the husk. I put it in the trunk and noticed it was a bit smelly and was startig to sprout, so I chucked it. The last time I tried to take a coconut through the airport they took it saying it had liquid in it! I said, "I'm a white guy, I don't know how to open these".