Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Barrel Question..

brian923

as you guys know, i have re-done my mauser. while i have been shooting it with reminton cor-lokt's, i can get around 1.5 to 2" moa.

i looked at the muzzel today, and while lookin at the muzzel crown, or lack of, i noticed that there is no rifle twist in the last 2 inches or so of the rifle, but it still shoots quiet accurate. if i cut the barrel back and re-crown, do you thin kthat i can get better accuracy? will i lose velocity? if i do take the barrel of, i would also like to recut the chamber. do you think this will yeild good results??

should i just leave it alone?

thanks guys, brian

Do you have a VZ24? If so, it is common for them to be counterbored. Removing the counterbore will not affect velocity. If not a vz24, then you most likely have wear but it still could be counterbored. Cutting back and recrowning could help improve accuracy.

I wouldn't rechamber. Usually what I do when utilizing the issue barrel is adjust the shoulders so that I shorten the chamber to minimum specs. This does two things, first, it lessens headspace thus increasing brass life and decreases the likelyhood of getting setback. Second, it helps accuracy. If your barrel has lots of wear I'd still try a crown but wouldn't personally waste my time recutting a chamber.

-M

Brian

Mike mentioned the Vz 24 because it was common for them to be counter bored at their arsenal.

I don't know that the Turks were using the practice much at their arsenal but that doesn't preclude

some other owner ore gunsmith from doing it.

Why is it done......

Cleaning from the muzzle wears it irregularly, making the bullet have uneven land grip on exit

and an uneven distribution of gas's. Therefore poor accuracy.

Counter boring removes the uneven portion at the end of the barrel.

In theory you should have a perfect crown, albeit somewhat recessed.

The Checks usually counter bored the VZ's about 2".

How deep is yours?

Personally if I were trying to make the most of the barrel that I had, I'd follow Mikes suggestion

about setting for minimum head space, then see how she shoots.

Do you have a 29" barrel counter bored?

Are you open sights or did you hang a scope on it?

Tinker

i know that it is a 29 " barrel, and i believe that it is counterbored, but i am going to really take a better look at it this evening. i am using open sights right now, but am going to be mounting a scope shortly. i hope. i want to try one of those scope mounts that replace the rear sight, therefor, not having to drill and tap the reciever.

one question i have though is, how do the rear sight replacing scope mounts compare to drilling and tapping?? i think that drilling and tapping would be more stronger, and less likely to have any play, but would be less costly in the long run.

what do you guys think? brian

one question i have though is, how do the rear sight replacing scope mounts compare to drilling and tapping?? i think that drilling and tapping would be more stronger, and less likely to have any play, but would be less costly in the long run.

Yup, D&T.

Brian

I thought of this after my last post.

You didn't say what weight bullet that you were using.

Since heavier bullets generally are longer too, a heavier bullet may engage

the rifleing better at the throat then a lighter bullet. So if you were using a

150 grain bullet stepping up to a 200 or 220 grain may help, especially if

there is throat wear or erosion.

The standard military spitzer round ( the one it was chambered for ) I think is 196 grains.

When you D&T for your scope mount would be a good time to reset the headspace to minimum.

Just be sure to not do like Mikes customer and leave the barrel on then proceed to

drill clear through the chamber.

Tinker

I have a few of these Turks that have a lot of muzzle wear. I thought that they may have been counterbored at first but it is just wear. One in particular shoots Turk surplus ammo decently at 100 yds, 3 in. groups or so, but at 400 yds you can't hit a 6 ft square target! I intend to cut the barrel and recrown if I can find the spare time. :lol: