Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Yellowing Finish On Lamanate

weaver77

has any one had a problem with tung oil yellowing on a laminated stock i have never had this problem with any of the solid wood stocks i have finished over the years but the first and only laminated stock that i have finished has yellowed over the past year and a half i am asuming that it is some sort of reaction with the laminate glue or possibly dies used in it i went to the local hardware and the owner seems to think the same and suggested that i use a waterbased polyacryllic urethane on the next one that i am getting ready to finish i was going to use spar urethane but he said that since it is also oil based that it might react with the laminate glue or dies also and help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

What was the finish? Was it a Tung oil based finish that stays on the surface or was raw Tung oil involved? I have not seen what you described, but raw Tung oil should never be left as a top coat. That being said I've had maple turn odd colors with oil finishes. Yellows and sometimes pinkish areas. Then again, you said it happened a year and a half later. I take it it looked fine when originally finished.

it was formby's tung oil finish and yes it did look fine when first done it wasnt untill put it in the safe and took it out about 6 months latter that i could tell the difference i will take pics tommarrow and post with some of when first finished the formby's isnt pure tung oil it penetrates the wood it usually takes 10 to 12 applications with steelwooling back down to wood to get the finish i like i sent a pm to zr1 and am going to use the finish mix he uses on the one i am doing now mainly i was trying to find out if anyone else has had similar problems and what finish they are using for the lamintes i used to help my mom and my aunt refinish furniture with formby's tung oil and when ever i have done a solid wood stock i always used it with no problems and an excellent finish never have done maple that i can remember but i have done birch and beechwood on 22 rifles but stained them first with walnut oil stain and they turned out fine

Any chance you used wax or furniture polish on it?? You might try brushing it with a soft, clean shoe polish brush and see if it doesn't remove it and brighten it up. I've finished two laminated stocks, not with Formby's both with poly urethane. One sprayed the other wipe-on and neither has yellowed after 3 or 4 years. As far as I know the poly is oil and not water based as I used mineral spirits to cut the wipe-on. Hope he is wrong but I get the feeling your harware guy might be on to something. Recently I saw a rather poorly finished laminate at a pawn shop that was yellowed.