Military Firearm Restoration Corner

That Other Site

flaco

I dint see what happened Dave.. But, I can guess!!! Remember this... Even if you had a pristine example of a true collectible.. it would not measure-up to what the "real collectors" have... so tell 'em to piss off, and stick their precious "relics"... My $0.02.. MV

Also .. Remember.. If everyone would have "preserved history" They wouldn't be worth what a Turk is!!!!Too Damn many of em!!!

if you own it, do what you want. Now i tell ya, i have a very nice m48 that i put a scout mount on, and had to do some wood removal on the handguard. I felt bad for hurting my pride and joy:( ...so back to orgional. ...also i have a russian m44 that i restored, i know a 50 dollar gun but hey. But....i'm buying a 24/47 and a 91/30 to .........you guessed it...SPORTERIZE!!!!!!! and i'm gonna ruin all the historical value of them and i'm gonna love it! I just like to have one to keep like she was made, and one to play with. Nuthin wrong with that is there? I went to that site the other day, Ive never seen so many people so ignorant, aragorant, and just straight up a-holes. I can't see where its a plus to be a member of a site like that. Thats y i like this one so much....nice people that would help ya in a minute. Some good people on here, no fights and a-holes like the other site. :)

Brenden

a lamp karl....geeze at least make borris into a pretty tent stake, or a ball bat.lol

Thats OK Karl.. I won't let my buddy sporter his "ugly old Enfield" either... He could trade that one for a great shooter!! Brenden: Were it me.. I would leave the 24-47 and sporter the 48... That's what I did in fact.. cause the rough ass 48 needed attention.. and the 24-47 was slick and way more "cool" to me anyway... your examples may be polarized differently!!! :rolleyes:

MV

Edit : BTW Karl that crappy ole Enfield of my friends' is the best shootin' open sight rifle I ever fooled with!!!! Can't get over the Ugly tho!!! LOL

Racepres, i'll take into consideration what you said...my m48 is pretty nice, had to re-do the stock, polished up the bolt, and it was my first mauser...so i'm kinda fond to it. I gotta go pick up the 24/47 in another month or so...i'll be able to tell pretty quick which one i want to sport...i'm leaving it 8mm, just doing some bolt, trigger guard choppin, and stock work,,,,,and a new timmey or bold trigger :)

brenden

Racepres, i'll take into consideration what you said...my m48 is pretty nice, had to re-do the stock, polished up the bolt, and it was my first mauser...so i'm kinda fond to it. I gotta go pick up the 24/47 in another month or so...i'll be able to tell pretty quick which one i want to sport...i'm leaving it 8mm, just doing some bolt, trigger guard choppin, and stock work,,,,,and a new timmey or bold trigger :)

brenden

Oh heck... go for it buddy... Just saying that If I get a slick one and a "less than slick" one.. you know which one will go Under the Knife!!! MV

PS my 48 was pretty crappy.. but the action is Saveable...

You bought it, you do what you want with it. I don't believe much in "colectables." If I can't shoot the thing because it will be worth less, I damn sure don't want it. And if I want to hack the barrel off, put a scope on it and put it in a different stock, that's my business. Like cars: Some people (JAGUAR) get all bent out of shape regarding the orientation of a warning sticker or the type of material a (defective designed) hose is made from. I just don't do that either. Enjoy what you have, mod it to suit yourself.

It's getting to the point where the dealer supplies of milsurps is drying up. Now you have to buy from those who bought, so it will cost you more. Who cares? There's lots of guns of all types in circulation. I'd sure rather have a Browning A-Bolt than a Mauser.

Don't know about a abolt over a mauser, but as long as bubba is useing up old mil surpluses , thats what makes them collectable

I have a hard time putting anything in the collector catagory that was used to try and kill my grandads and brothers,or my Dad and his brothers.That would be the same as collecting 65 Chevy Impalas,because that's what ran over my little sister.Now,collecting the arms used by our soldiers to defend our country is a whole different story.I'll not destroy a rifle that's valuable because some dumbass collects them because they were used to kill Americans or Allies,'cause I want their money so I can buy more of their collectables to turn into useful hunting guns.I own a Swede 96 and 38,battle ready with all the stuff that goes with it,and a Brazillian '08 that's complete.I think they're neat and pretty,but who knows? They're mine and I have a new hacksaw blade.Anybody collect KKK stuff or homemade abortion tools? Jerry

........Anybody collect KKK stuff or homemade abortion tools? Jerry

Jerry, i have a kkk poster on my wall.....does that count? lol. I know i prob. shouldn't but its kinda funny with the wording and stuff...no abortion tools though..sorry to disappoint you. i was talking to my dad today, yes hes old school and i told him about putting duracoat on my next mauser project to which he replied.."those old guns shouldn't have that crap on them, they were made for blue and the trigger that was on them. All you do is alter them so much that in the end you have alot of money in them and don't have half of what you started with. Leave it like it is, thats what its made for!"......me on the other hand...i like to chop, and when i get done with something, its more than what i started with, its more functional, and its how i want the dam thing to be! don't get me wrong, my dad's a super guy, just doesn't understand or doesn't care i guess. Its ok though, opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one. I look at it like this, i'm learning, i'm staying out of trouble and off drugs or what ever out there these days, and most of all i'm having fun. Can't put a price tag on fun, can ya fellas?!

Brenden

Anybody collect KKK stuff or homemade abortion tools? Jerry

When I used to follow flea markets I knew a seller that made a small fortune selling KKK items. He wouldn't reveal his source but it seemed like he had new stuff every week. He would sell posters for as much as $50.00. He sold everything from KKK marked pocket knives to decks of cards. He was finally booted by the flea market's management.

Yeah, that's a good point: Taking a weapon like a "classic" WWII Mauser 98 with German markings and butchering the heck out of it and turnining it into a plowshare, or a custom rifle, whatever, is like the final "pissing on the grave" of those that were actively trying to destroy us. On the other hand, keeping it 100% original and virtually worshiping it is rather sick.

The vet bringback K98ks would never be a good candidate for sporterization, if my grandpas K98k was sported by anyone, all hell would break loose, it had been in Germany for only about a year, but has been in the US for the past 60 years. Some rifles are history and shouldnt be messed with, I do plan on getting an M48 and sporting it just for something to do, but I would never use a rifle that was actually used during a war.

I have a hard time putting anything in the collector catagory that was used to try and kill my grandads and brothers,or my Dad and his brothers.That would be the same as collecting 65 Chevy Impalas,because that's what ran over my little sister.Now,collecting the arms used by our soldiers to defend our country is a whole different story.I'll not destroy a rifle that's valuable because some dumbass collects them because they were used to kill Americans or Allies,'cause I want their money so I can buy more of their collectables to turn into useful hunting guns.I own a Swede 96 and 38,battle ready with all the stuff that goes with it,and a Brazillian '08 that's complete.I think they're neat and pretty,but who knows? They're mine and I have a new hacksaw blade.Anybody collect KKK stuff or homemade abortion tools? Jerry

Very well said Jerry.

I've got several collectable mausers that I'm saving to sporterize when everything else dries up.

Yep J.B.,your grandads rifle is a whole different deal,and I'd be the same as you.Anything he had all those years and cherished to help him remember what he'd been through would turn it from a killing tool to a family treasure.Jerry

Yep J.B.,your grandads rifle is a whole different deal,and I'd be the same as you.Anything he had all those years and cherished to help him remember what he'd been through would turn it from a killing tool to a family treasure.Jerry

My uncle talked about rebluing it and replacing the stock, if that happened, it would never be all original even if I managed to get an original stock, I just hope to god I am the one who will inherit it as I am the only one who wouldnt replace the stock.

There are a lot of Mil Surp rifles that could be sporterized that do not have any collectability. The narrow thought process of that site is over whelming at time. They get together over there and start their Kool Aid drinking and then make silly rules.

Fritz

I like your Mosin buddy!