Military Firearm Restoration Corner

That Other Site

flaco

And as long as I'm in the mood...

Remember when we--okay, a few of us--had a big bone to pick with that other site, where they didn't have anything better to do than call us Bubba?

I still go back there.

Most recently to the Czech forum.

I like Vz24s.

Anyway, some poor who wanted to know about his Romanian refurb was foolhardy enough to make a post.

Wanted to know the year of the rifle, etc., etc.

He got some info, then admitted that he'd use it as a shooter for a while, then turn it into a custom rifle.

You guessed it!

Some know-nothing jumped down his throat.

About devaluing his $150 "investment" in a Romanian refurb mis-matched parts rifle.

Don't guess he'll be back.

All on a forum that has about 6 new threads in the last month.

It must be lonely at the top.

flaco

Whadayaknow? Some things never change. :huh:

LMAO :lol:

I went to a site like that. The top in BOLD letters, STICKY, DO NOT POST ANY QUESTIONS OR MATERIAL IN REGARDS TO SPORTERIZING!

I was like, dang. Ill move on now. And this was on a Mosin-Nagant site. Hmmm, lets see. You get offended when I cut up a $35 rifle that companies are all but giving away.

LMAO :lol:

I went to a site like that. The top in BOLD letters, STICKY, DO NOT POST ANY QUESTIONS OR MATERIAL IN REGARDS TO SPORTERIZING!

I was like, dang. Ill move on now. And this was on a Mosin-Nagant site. Hmmm, lets see. You get offended when I cut up a $35 rifle that companies are all but giving away.

"You're damaging a historical artifact from a by-gone era! Don't you know that some poor conscript toted that rifle around with him? Maybe even shot a German or American or two with it?? How could you screw that up you heartless dog you??? Afterall, all history is worth preserving. Even if it means I buy up every last arsenal refinished, soaked in cosmoline, cracked stock $35 Ruskie rifle out there! Do it in memory of the Communists that made this world what it is!!"

Me personally...its my rifle...if the barrel is worn out and it won't shoot, I don't have any use for it. A rifle is a tool, not a historical artifact.

Or look at it another way...lunatics like these are just preserving the current crop of C&R guns to ensure that our grandchildren will have Mausers, Enfields, and Mosins to sporterize long after we're gone!!

Tony,

I have not been there for a long time either, but I can see that things are still the same.

I am curious as to why so many of them use the same avatar. I always knew they thought alike, now I see they all look alike too!

Quite boring, as each one has to second, third, etc., what the previous "poster" said. That makes whatshisname's traffic go way up. I remember a time when I was there that he complained about the expense of all the traffic.

Well, you get what you pay for!

fritz

(an appeal to the historical waste would be utterly wasted on them. )

OOOOOh that hurts :rolleyes::o

These are the same people who got mad at me for pointing out that the Koran advocates holy war...the day after 9/ 11!!!!!

That is why I moved here.

karl

Well shucks, I guess we can't all be as well educated or stubbornly persistent as the historians on gentleman Bill's board.

But at least, however heathen we may be, at least we here are a group of individuals who have our own minds, our own ideas, and a willingness to share or if necessary, defend our own positions. I was once an active member on Bill's site, but after being chastised for A. being a new, ignorant member and B. suggesting that my $90 made-after-the-war Yugoslavian Mauser needed a scope and better trigger, I said the hell with 'em and left.

I shall continue on doing as I wish with my property and if that hairlips the purists on Bill's board, they can get bent.

And...for everything else...there's Sporterizing.com!!

SGN has been running a series on sporterizing a Mosin-Nagant. The author/gunsmith does some real nice work and there are lots of tips in his articles. His goal is to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, or make a MN purdy. Next up he is going to chop the mag so it is flush with the bottom of the new stock. I'm a couple issues behind.

It's getting to the point where the dealer supplies of milsurps is drying up. Now you have to buy from those who bought, so it will cost you more. Who cares? There's lots of guns of all types in circulation. I'd sure rather have a Browning A-Bolt than a Mauser.

Going back to those two posts that FC listed----I believe the first one was on whatshisname's Mosin Nagant forum. I used to frequent both that one and ours, and it happened one time that I had just completed a scope job on one of his "historical" rifles.

I was so proud of my work, that in my haste (and possibly too many schnapps) I posted on the wrong forum. Only by doing some quick crawfishing did I keep from being banned then and there.

Oh, it happened later (my banning), but it was not for speaking about sporterizing. Instead I found out later from Emul8 that whatshisname banned me because I did not agree with him on something (the topic eludes me now). It was not nearly as pointedly as fritz has been here, but it was to whatshisname.

Here's the pic of my work that I mistakenly posted on his site---

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/fritz/1676762a.jpg

fritz

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oldbikewrench

Read the 2 post from that other place. Wow that is a lot of hate toward fellow gun owners. Too bad.

But I am not an arrogant/foolish monkey. I am a gun owner and will do to it what I want to because it is mine. Same as my motorcycles etc...

Again thank you for this site!

Read the 2 post from that other place. Wow that is a lot of hate toward fellow gun owners. Too bad.

But I am not an arrogant/foolish monkey. I am a gun owner and will do to it what I want to because it is mine. Same as my motorcycles etc...

Again thank you for this site!

Very well said.

Holey Moley, an' I thought I was with a bad attitude. Sheeze, makes me look like a,a,a, ok never mind. I'm good with it.I ain't goin' back there.less I hear more fightin' words. If I wanna make um sweet or semi sweet ,that's my business. That's my story an' I'm a stickin' to it. AAAARRR!!!!. Dave

• 2 months later...
How dare you turn commie instruments of a defunct nation into some distorted firearm!

I would say I'm doing it because its fun, or because I need another hunting rifle. However, to tell you the truth, and because I can afford to, I do it because I know it aggravates you to no end. :P

Na na - boo boo!

I wonder why they worry about preserving M48s and arsenal refurbed rifles when the large majority of these rifles have never seen combat. I think I will sport a M48 or something like that so I can have a good deer rifle and something to do. What I wouldnt do is sport an all matching or vet bringback German mauser or an arisaka or something that was actually used in combat or something historical. The Yugo SKS rifles have never seen a day of combat and their only history is sitting in a bath of cosmoline. There is a world of difference between a sportable milsurp and a historical milsurp. These guys on that other site look like fools thinking that we must have all of these guns that havent even been issued to a soldier. Would I sport a post war mauser or a mauser that wasnt used in WWII, of course, would I sport a rifle used in WWII or WWI, no I wouldnt.

There is also a difference between bubba and a true customizer. Here is a bubba job for sale on auction arms

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayi...itemnum=8447620

A bubba doesnt take pride in their work and just hacks at the stock to make the gun resemble a deer rifle, a customizer personalizes the rifle and takes care in making a hunting rifle. Bubbas are vandals, customizers are artists(there are a ton of artists here on this site).