Military Firearm Restoration Corner

375 Whelen AI

Guest Guest_mauserbuff_*

Guest Guest_mauserbuff_*

Hello. Anyone built the 375 Whelen Ackley Improved lately?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Davis.

Take a look at the 9.3X62 Brenneke. It may have everything you are looking for in performance, plus loaded ammo, bullets, and cases. The 9.3X62 Brenneke also has more case shoulder for head spacing and is availible in pre-chambered barrels for the 98 Mauser.

Guest Dubhhawk
Take a look at the 9.3X62 Brenneke.  It may have everything you are looking for in performance, plus loaded ammo, bullets, and cases.  The 9.3X62 Brenneke also has more case shoulder for head spacing and is availible in pre-chambered barrels for the 98 Mauser.

2652[/snapback]

Any Idea where chambered barrels are for the 9.3x62? Very interesting caliber. I have most others but, have been wanting one of these. I can get reamers but, where are the barrels?

Mike

Okay, there is a 9.3x62 Mauser and a 9.3x64 Brenneke. The Mauser cartridge is based on a standard standard case with a .473'/.470" rim/base diameter. It is a 35 Whelen class carteidge that out performs the 35 Whelen.

The Brenneke is another animal altogether. It is a larger cartrigde, and approaches 375 H&H territory. Being a rimless design it would probably feed smoother than a belted magnum.

Sarco is selling Husqvarna 9.3x57mm, built on 98 style actions for around $300 each, complete rifle. Item #GUN208. It would be an easy job to rechamber to 9.3x62.

One nice thing about the 9.3x64 Brenneke, overall length is 3.43". Not a whole lot longer than the max. length for a 30-06, so there would be a minimum of receiver mods to make it work. Not like the 375 H&H.

Sailor is right about the differences in the 9.3x62 and 9.3x64. Chambered Lothar Walther barrels are availible from sporterexpress.com.

Lothar Walther 9.3 x 64 Rifle Barrel

Lothar Walther manufactures the exact barrel that has been used by many of the best European gunsmiths for years. The quality of this barrel can not be matched by anyone else. These barrels are regarded at the premium barrel for Mauser customs. Each barrel comes with a polished contour, a radius sporting crown and is long chambered and threaded for Mauser 98 Large Ring actions. These barrels offer a cost savings over other barrels as each chamber is honed and is slightly long so a reamer is not needed. To set headspace all you need to do is set back the shoulders and breach face. Order by style and caliber below.

Item #: 100-235

Availability: Special Order

Style: 722

Caliber: 9.3 x 64

Our Price: $194.99

Lothar Walther 9.3 x 62 Rifle Barrel

Item #: 100-234

Availability: Special Order

Style: 722

Caliber: 9.3 x 62

Our Price: $194.99

As big a fan as I am of the 9.3x62 the shoulder difference or rather advantage it offers over the 375 whelen is hooey. The Whelen has plenty of shoulder for headspacing. How much shoulder does the 45 acp have?

That said, I'd pass on the whelen too and just build a 9.3x62. As others have said, one big advantage it has is factory loadings. Of course, if you have to build a whelen, I'd imagine it would be pretty darn effective and there is no shortage of good bullets & brass to choose from. Either round would be easy to make work in a standard 98.

The 9.3x64 is a real go getter. every bit as effective as the .375 H&H and much easier to fit into a standard mauser action. I was an RCH away from building a 9.3x64 but since the rifle I'm rebarrelling is open sight only I didn't see the real need and went with the 9.3x62 instead.

Guest Guest_mauserbuff_*

Well, I have 2, 27" .375 caliber barrel blanks and the 375 Whelen AI reamer and gauges. Before I chambered these to .375 whelen AI, I just wanted to know what kind of velosity and ballestics anyone was producing. I take it no one has one.

Thanks for the input, Davis.

If you have the blanks and the reamer I would think it is a no brainer. I would expect ballistics in the AI version to be on par with the 9.3x62. I don't see how you could go wrong. Expect maybe a little attention to the feedrails. Me, I'd try to finish the barrel as long as possible 26" perhaps or 25.5" to get max velocity.

No, I don't have one but am I am putting together my 9.3x62. Any animal shot with either would never know the difference if one even exists.

Speaking second hand, a freind had some problems with his full length resizing die for his 375 Whelen. I'm assuming it was the Ackley Improved version because Ackley did the re-barrel for him in the early 70's. I do recall RCBS having him send three emptys fired from his rifle and they sent him another sizing die and an extra expander ball and stem no charge. The extra expanding ball I'm guessing was 35 caliber. RCBS recomended the extra step when expanding a 30/06 neck to 375. To the best of my knowledge there wasn't any factory 35 Whelen brass to work with in the 70's. Been alot of years, don't remember how much but I do vividly recall him pissing and moaning about the initial cost of the die set from RCBS's custom shop. I imagine the reloading situation is better today, reloading dies are probably available at a reasonable cost and with the parent case 35 Whelen brass readily available, expanding the neck to 375 without splitting necks is simply done.

Some good suggestions so far as a possible alternative, my only suggestion is checking on the availabilty of ammo, reloading componenets and tools. The only 375 Whelen headspace problems I ever heard of (heard, never experienced) was on the initial fireforming. Once the brass has been formed to your chamber you shouldn't have any headspace problems.

Guest Guest_mauserbuff_*

I went ahead and threaded and chambered one today. I bought 3 barrels from a gunsmith going out of business. 2 were the .375 barrel blanks, and 1 .358 barrel blank. Well, you probably know what I chambered that one to. Yep, go old 35 Whelen. The .358 blank was a McMillan & Wise barrel, and I don't have a clue who made the .375 barrels. Only thing stamped on the breech end was .375 1-12". I'll probably build one of the .375's for myself, and sell the others after I get them built.

Thanks for all the help, Davis.