Military Firearm Restoration Corner

The Great Pumpkin

fritz

Well, halloween night the Great Pumpkin failed to show up again. Then last night it was unveiled that the chupacabra was just an old coyote with a serious skin disease.

DNA tests were complete and a TV station from San Antonio sent a crew down to San Marcos (home of Texas State University where the testing was done). There was an envelope opened and the contents read to the viewers---coyote.

The lady who found the animal on her ranch, and had thousands of T-shirts made, asked the fellow "Then why did it have such strange teeth?" He said it was a very old coyote.

Now I am beginning to wonder if there is really a Santa Claus, or he just a very old man who dresses funny.

fritz

I feel better now,because years ago I shot what I thought was a very sick,mangy coyote south of San Antone,and was so sure it was a coyote all these years until the chupacabra thing came out,and the one I shot looked just like the critters in pictures people put in the papers.It was up in the middle of the night,and I was headed to Harlingen,when I see the animule standing beside the road kinda humped up and hairless except for the end of his tail and the back of its head,so I turned around,went back and pulled up right beside it,and it didn't run,just stood there,and was so pitiful and sick looking,I shot it right there.I was afraid it was rabid since it didn't show any fear.I think I was making that trip in '78.Things sure are different now,'cause there's no way I'd pull a pistol out on a highway these days.Back then,you wouldn't pass another car for 30 minutes at a time late at night.Glad I didn't kill something very rare. Jerry

Jerry,

It ain't over yet. The DNA results did not exactly match a coyote, nor any other animal. And the university at San Marcos only has a small lab with DNA database samples only.

The chupacabra sample came closest to a coyote, but not an exact match. It may be a new family within the coyote family.

The tests were paid for this time by the TV station, now the lady who found the chupacabra is going to send tissue and skin samples to the University of California/Davis for more detailed study. They have actual DNA samples (instead of just a database) in which to compare.

So, the chupacabra may still be a different animal than a common coyote. These things have happened with other species before. No one is trying to pull-the-wool over anybody on this.

The chupacabra lives!

The Great Pumpkin, well he better show up soon or even Linus will lose faith in him!

As to Santa Claus, hell he is on every street corner the day after Thanksgiving.

fritz

"Probably a cousin to Sasquatch!"

Possible, but a distant cousin, one who did not like the cold damp northwest. And he really cannot stand the ice of the area where Yeti lives.

Remember, he has no hair.

But, he is more dangerous than his cousins, he can suck the blood out of a chicken or a goat quicker than you can say "Fuzzie Wuzzie was a bear, Fuzzie Wuzzie had no hair"!

fritz

Fuzzie wuzzie wasn't very fuzzie,wuzzie? Aint heard that one in years.Glen Rose Texas High School caught on their security camera a cougar a couple weeks back,so who knows what's prowling around at night.For 35 deer seasons,I have sat for many hours before daylight and afternoons 'till dark way back in the woods watching all the animules,and I never,ever,saw anything I couldn't explain.I'm not saying there's no such thing as booger bears,just that I haven't seen one yet. Jerry