Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Eye Exam

fritz

I had an extensive eye exam done today, and they told me I had 20/20, 20/25 vision. No sign of glaucoma or cataracts.

The doc said not to waste money on prescription glasses, just buy over-the-counter reading glasses (which is what I have been doing). Said to come bask in a year or so for a new exam.

Now, I asked him why is it then that I cannot see as well over iron sights, as I used to. I really didn't understand his answer, but I believe I need to get eyeglasses that focus on distances beyond reading distance. And only use them for shooting the iron sighted weapons.

Or just keep using scopes. Even though there is nothing wrong with my eyes, I still cannot shoot worth a damned with open sights.

Maybe it is just me.

fritz

hi fritz. I use a 1.25pwr otc.glasses for my long distance seeing. Use a 2.25pwr for 4ft or closer. Prescript glasses ,they want to do bifocals. Can't see #$%% under the hood w/ them I just use otc glasses too. works for me. Just my .035, Dave <_<

It's called Presbiopia. As we get older (a-hem), our lenses lose their flexibility. To focus up close, the lense needs to relax and bounce into "up close" shape. That doesn't happen anymore and we can't focus up close. That's why we use a "high power" (as I call it) lens to read, work on the truck or see iron sites. Ten years ago, I was shooting AAA with iron sites in Hunter Pistol. I'm starting to have difficulty with it now. I kinda quit shooting competitively about a year ago because it is a long drive from here and there was an a$$ hole that ruined the fun for my wife (she shot also with a High Standard Trophy), and if Momma ain't havin' phun, no one is and I just couldn't see blowing a bill for a day of biatching. My eye doc (an actual M.D., not a optomitrist), said that typically the presbiopia will get worse until 50, then stabilize.

Thanks, guys

Makes me feel better that I am not alone.

strait shooter, I shot a postal target for the board that I used to be on (before I got banned). It was military rifles, open sights only, 5 shots at a standard 100 yard target. Sand bags allowed. I started out without glasses, and I couldn't see the bull at 100 yards.

I went home and got my bifocals (that I seldom wore for the same reason you said) and then was able to see the target. I shot a 6.5x55 Swede, 5 shots into 1 5/8" and claimed honorable mention. Without the glass I could not even see the target clearly while focusing on the sights.

So I believe I will get several different magnification otc glasses for such tasks again. That's what the doc said to do.

fritz

Dillion sells yellow safety cheaters, reasonable price best I recall. Helped my shooting down iron sights but now I need real Rx glasses. I got a magnifier for my shooting eye and a lens for distance for my left. Take some getting used to though as I often walk with my shooting eye closed. When my eyes first started going, adding a slip-on recoil pad providing a little more distance helped on some rifles.

Dillion sells yellow safety cheaters, reasonable price best I recall. Helped my shooting down iron sights but now I need real Rx glasses. I got a magnifier for my shooting eye and a lens for distance for my left. Take some getting used to though as I often walk with my shooting eye closed. When my eyes first started going, adding a slip-on recoil pad providing a little more distance helped on some rifles.