Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Weekend withdrawals

swamp_thing

Made it through the weekend but sure missed the forums. I was having a bit of withdrawels by yesterday afternoon. Started to get that nervous feeling down in the gut there, but awoke this morning to being able to once again get to the site. Sure glad we're back again. I actually had to find other things to do to pass the time for two days. swamp thing

This is from their support forum:

The board is back up, per usual, because it is no longer the weekend. Here is what Elliot Lee said about his role in the matter. Invision says it isn't responsible, and E. Lee says he is not responsible. I have already gone to my credit card company for a refund.

I'm actually a student now. I am working on weekends, as you can see

here (I am replying to your email). I do not work for Invision Power. My

understanding is that Anthony paid Invision Power Services. I did not

request that you pay them. I did not receive that money. And I am not

being paid, although I will do my best to help.

I apologize for any inconvenience. If you are not aware, Invision Plus

is providing free hosting service, which means we are not charging

people for our service.

Also note that my understanding is that you guys had purchased an

Invision Power Board 2.0 license, which is a fine thing to do. But I am

not associated or affiliated with Invision Power Services in any way. I

just work hard to maintain a free forum hosting service, and I'll try to

assist with what's best for your board.

I don't know that terribly much about the web if it is not a "managed service". I had board problems, like last weekend with the free service, I posted a complaint, E. Lee wrote to me saying he could fix me up (not saying he wasn't one of your employees), I buy the service, despite his saying I could buy it for "$69, his cost". I had to buy it for $185 because he wouldn't answer back on how to get it for $69. He called his setup a "test", so I could get it cheaper. It has been nothing but headaches from the beginning. Just like EZBoard, nobody is responsible for the foul-ups. This is so danged stupid, and is costing me board members, money, and immense amounts of time. Why do you let any Joe Blow hosting service run your software?

Thanks,

Elliot Lee

Well, Mr. Lee's "free" Invision Plus service was just as sorry (or more so) as is the Invision Power service.

And I was beginning to think I had made a mistake in blaming Mr. Lee (in my email) for this problem.

I guess I had it pegged about the weekend thing though.

fritz

Tony,

If you get your money back from this Elliot Lee character, let's pack up our bag of tricks and head elsewhere. I think its time that we looked into Infopop or somebody else that will at least be able to provide steady service.

I think you've put too much time into the setup and maintainence of this board to glean second rate results from a college kid who's doing this on the side to make money. It's not our fault that he ain't available on the weekends - for $169 he can darn well be available to fix our problems. I think this charade has gone on long enough. If Lee can't provide steady service, I say that we can fire his service and take our business elsewhere. Anything less isn't fair to you as I know you're exceedingly busy and don't have time to fight with the service provider, credit card company, and a half-interested college kid. You have made a large investment in both time and money and right now I see you getting a good return on neither.

Jason

The problem is that thus far I only know how to run "managed boards", which means they have the template. I wouldn't even know how to keep Invision and dump Sizzlyhosting, which E. Lee owns. I have briefly discussed the possibility of a joint board with Wayne. He's looking into the same provider as Tuco uses.

Tony,

http://www.forumhoster.com/

Check out their server cluster...sweet... http://www.forumhoster.com/index.php?page=serverconf

12 different pipelines means that we shouldn't be having connectivity issues, and if those servers run out of memory anytime soon I'll be in shock.

Monthly fee to not have adds on the sight is 5 bucks, and storage is only 250 megs which means lots of text but not pictures. Transfering your Invision license over shouldn't be a problem, but if it is phpBB is free software opensource software that my brother inlaw recommended.

Jimro