Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Chamber Rings

tinkerfive

Hey guys, the other day I got the chance to take out some of my projects and purchases

of the last year and shoot them.

On my one purchase, a 09 Argentine which I'm sure was a 7.65 reamed out to 30-06 I'm

getting some very distinct rings on the difficult to extract brass.

I'll refer to the rings like threads in ID and OD.

I don't know how to verify if the ID is from a nicked reamer and under spec.

OR

if the OD is from cuttings between the reamer and chamber making over spec gouges.

The grouping was quite unremarkable.

I'm thinking that the thing to do would be to set the shoulders back a turns worth and re-ream to

min head space should clean up the chamber.

Anyone else have any better ideas????

Tinker

I'm thinking that the thing to do would be to set the shoulders back a turns worth and re-ream to

min head space should clean up the chamber.

Anyone else have any better ideas????

Tinker

I think I would just rebarrel. The .30-06 will never shoot very well in that oversized bore.

Clemson

Where are the rings at on the brass? Maybe I'm not reading your post right.

With regards to accuracy, if you slug the bore, I'd bet you'll find that it's about .311. If you're a handloader, no biggie, you'll just have to load the right diameter bullets.

Be carefull loading .311-.312" diameter bullets into that chamber. The danger is that though the bore is over sized the chamber neck is designed to accomodate a cartridge neck with a .308" bullet. Often there is not enough clearance to safely allow use of the oversized bullet. You see this warning a lot when discussing Mosin Nagants.