Military Firearm Restoration Corner

M44 Carbine Source

Clemson

Folks, I am a Mosin-ignoramus. Please point me toward sources for WWII dated M44 carbines and rifles. I specifically want a 1943 or 44 gun.

I know Mausers fairly well, and I can hold my own with Arisakas and US rifles, but I have no experience with the Ruskies.

Thanks,

Clemson

The rifles being currently offered by Southern Ohio Guns,Century,AIM and all of the other major distributors at this time are all pretty comparable and all reports I have seen on these are favorable.

There is a gun show 9-10/11 at the Palmetto Expo Center and you may be able to find what you are looking for there.

Stan

P.S. Greetings from Simpsonville

Clemson, I'm in the same boat as you on the ruskies,I've never delt with Interordinece as I 've just read way to many negatives about them to feel comfortable.I've not ordered any for almost a year now but the few Russians I've ordered ,I've ordered from Aztec and am more then pleased with them.I cant post links (dont know how) but if you will do a search for Aztec guns you'll find it, send John an e-mail about what you want he's been 100% on with me,I always pay the hand pick fee and tell him what I want and what I dont want (counter bores ect..) all have been #s matching good looking guns and no counter bores with shiney bores.Good luck Jim

Guest Guest_HFSPBfan_*

Manureman is correct. Aztec would be your best bet for a specific type of Mosin rifle. The Mosin rifle is their specialty.

I did have a bad experience with Interordinance. The stg parts kit I bought was supposed to be in excellent shape. It was not even close to the advertised condition. To their credit, they agreed to take it back. The return shipment was some how lost. It was a good thing that I insured the return shipment. I cannot imagine how the carrier could have lost a large box with fn/fal parts.

Over the past few years that I have been participating in online communities that focus on guns, the only business that I have heard people speak of with almost universal disdain is InterOrdnance.

Mostly it seems to be cases of what can only be described as false advertising...Mosin "sniper" rifles that weren't; formerly C&R rifles with modifications that remove them from C&R status still being sold as C&R; grading problems overall.

Though, I can say that there are a few people out there who must be satisfied with IO's service and/or products as IO is still in business even though they have had some close calls with regard to legal matters, IIRC.

As far as the advice around Aztec goes, it's true that if you can get ahold of John there, he will do well by you. But you'd better hurry, as there is some suggestion that once Aztec's current stock of Mosin-Nagants is gone, they won't be restocking...I think that they are just going to be moving on to something else.

The good news is, I have yet to hear of a single person who has been dissatisfied with a purchase from Aztec.

Here's the link, in case you haven't made it to the site yet: Aztec International

Good luck!

Well, a followup is due on the M44 issue. Thanks to all who contributed opinions. I did not disregard them, but I had extenuating circumstances that led me back to InterOrdnance.

I did order two rifles from InterOrdnance. I tried to fax my C&R license to them, but found that you can't do that. They were good enough to email me about the problem the same day. I mailed the signed copy of the license on a Friday, and on Wednesday had two M44 carbines delivered. The guns were both absolutely pristine. I got laminated stocks and 1945 dates (aceptable to me) for $59 per rifle. The bores look new. The stocks are like new. Bluing in the rearsenaled rifles is pretty much 100%. There is very little cosmoline except in a few recesses on the stocks.

Realizing that this is only one point of reference, but InterOrdnance delivered just what they advertised for me on this particular order.

Clemson

Clemson --

Thanks for the update...it's good to know that IO is doing what they advertise...and in your case, maybe more!

Laminated stocks on your carbines? For $59.00? Dang, I may have to break down and order some!

I would think that 1943 dates on a Mosin-Nagant M44 would be a bit rarer than 1944 and later dates, as the carbines went into full production in 1944. I believe that Southern Ohio Gun sells some 1943 dated M44s, but as they were early production, they command a higher price. However, I am far from an expert on these things, so I could just be babbling around this. LOL!

At any rate, I am glad that you got a couple of M44s that appeal to you, and I wish you great shooting!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sailorjim

I have purchased 3 m44s fromInter-ordinance.

I happened to order one when it was free shipping over 50

$55 delivered and it came in 3-4 days

'48 and looked unfire (at least for a week)

not gooped in cosmo and excellant condition

I ordered 2 more and got a '45 & '46

very happy with service and condition

1 had been recrown and not reblued though

I don't know if that is the arsenal or IO

overall I am quite happy with my purchases from IO

I may get a FAL kit from them next. biggrin.gif

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I received a nice 1944 Izhevsk M44 from AIM recently. Century import but the import stamp seemed a bit smaller and unobtrusive than the typical billboard. The lam stock 91/30's from IO and AIM are very nice too. Aztec had some sweet M44's but I'm not sure if they have any more.