Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1970 Plymouth Challenger Commercial (buford Justice)

FC

• 10 months later...

Thx Tony. I met the actor that played the part of the Sheriff. At the time my mother worked for a Dodge dealership. I was a bit surprised when I was introduced to him after the promo event. I never would have recognized him, he was dressed in normal clothes and spoke without any accent.

While my mom worked for the dealership I got to test drive all the new Dodges until I drove a 426 Hemi powered Dodge. As soon as I got around the corner I came to a complete stop, rev-ed the engine then dumped the clutch. Between the horsepower power advertised as 425 and limited-slip differential, smoked the rear tires and I almost lost control as the Dodge started to fish tail. I wasn't aware that another employee just left work, was right behind, ratted me out the next day and I wasn't permitted to drive again. The dealership as a disciplinary measure made my mother and the sales manager sign a written agreement never to allow me to handle any of their vehicles.

The 70 Challenger was nice but my favorite Mopor were the late 60's Dodge Chargers.

I thought that I would chime in here as I was fortunate to have lived my youth when the super cars were born and when they were everywhere. The only "performance" vehicle that I ever owned was a 1966 SS 396 Chevelle 325 HP. Many of my friends had what are now true classics. I had a friend who had a black 1969 Roadrunner Hemi that I was privileged to drive quite a bit. 425 HP, 4speed with 4.11 Dana rear gears, When the tires could get grip, it was absolutely awesome. This all occurred in the very early 70's, and another friend had a red/w black stripes 1969 Z-28 Camaro with a dyno-tuned distributor kit and headers and that was as fast as the Hemi Roadrunner. One of my cousin's bought a 1970 SS454 Chevelle brand new, and dominated Pure Stock class at the local strip. Tremendous torque from that big block, and I believe he still has that car today. He took meticulous care of that car.

Those were good times and it does my heart good to see one on the road occasionally. Nothing like that big block thunder. B)

Spiris