Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Tony,i Have A New Toy-project

Horsefly

The old man next door cleaned out his barn after the flood back in June,and gave me an old Craftsman wood lathe that was his Dads.I cleaned it up and oiled everything,and it turned out to be a humdinger.It's cast iron,so it's well made,and all rust and gunk came off,with lots of blue(the color Ford use to paint their engines)paint left.All the tools and parts that go with it are in a 5gal. bucket,so I've got lots of cleaning to do yet.I've only done a little wood turning back in highschool when they first invented electricity,so it's all going to be a learning thing for me.I just had to tell somebody,and thought of you.Jerry

Fly is you're like everybody else with a wood lathe, the first thing you build will be a mean mean looking Billy club. When I worked in a cabinet shop in my hippy days I turned out plenty of clubs I could get as much as 5 bux a piece for. It used to be a scamble and often a fight or two for scrap mahogony.

• 2 months later...

Horsefly,

Can you post a picture?

Some of the old Craftsman tools like yours sounds to be were high quality. Not sure where made but likely US. My dad has worked building Early American Reproductions since I was about 3 or 4yo. I'm 41 now. He does lathe work like a machine. It's quite a skill.

Without looking I'd say you have a very nice lathe if it's that older post WWII vintage or earlier.

Edited: Here is a link to a site that is for woodworking and has a Lathe forum. A friend of mine is on this site a lot and likes it. You should find some useful info there and maybe some help in ID'ing your lathe. Hope it helps.

Sawmill Creek