Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Once In A Lifetime Season

911rat

My Dad and I went hunted northern Michigan last weekend like every other year. Because of liberal antlerless permits for the past 10 years or so, success rates, especially on public land are generally very low, there's been many years we haven't seen a thing. This is the only time any of us can remember 2 family members bringing home a deer. I filled my doe tag Friday morning and my Dad got his 8 point Saturday afternoon.

I know this is a sporterizing board, but no sporters were used. I took my doe with my Grandfathers old Winchester 30-30 and my Dad took the buck with a rifle he bought long before he met my Mom, a Marlin in .35 Rem. We have "nicer" rifles, but I had promised to take a deer with the old 30-30 ever since my Dad handed it to me and my Dad felt more confident with his old lever action than his new 30-06 . I guess in this day when we all "need" short mags and fancy optics, the old woods guns will still get the job done.

Pat

MFRC.jpg

Congrats on the deer.

Nothing wrong with a 30-30. I hunted with a mod 94 for years, then gave it to my oldest son when he returned from Iraq. I hope he passes it on to his son (if he ever gets around to having one) some day.

Good report 911.Those deer look fat and healthy.Orta be some good eating this winter.Long after those deer are gone,you'll always remember that day hunting with your Pop.Those lever guns will still gitter done.Jerry