Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Muledeer Hunt Only 6 Days Away

Horsefly

I'm getting ready for my annual deer hunt down on the Rio Grande near Presidio.Hard to believe it's already been a year.There were some good rains down there this past year,so I'm hoping we'll have a good quail crop.The droughts don't seem to effect the deer and javelina as much as the quail.5 guys are down there now,and they've had a big snow,with another 1'' forecasted for today.Man I'd love to have been there with a snow on the ground.The biggest problem hunting desert muley's is seeing them in all the rocks and cactus,but with snow,it'd be a different story.Those old farts that are there now will never leave the cabin.They'll play cards,drink blackberry brandy and coffee,then beer,and do a lot of eating.They're having a great time.I put an old Redfield wide angle scope on my little Swede 96 sporter last week,took it out to a buddies range,and it wouldn't hold a zero.The gun grouped real good,but when I turned the adjusters a click or 2,there's no telling where it'd move the shots.I wish it had open sights on it so I could at least shoot a javelina with it.I gave the scope that was on it to a kid at work that doesn't have the money to buy a scope,so there's no putting it back on.My old trusty Smith & Wesson made by Husqvarna in .308 shot the center out of the bulls eye at 100 yards with 150 grain Federals.I think my wife may have something going on with the Swann man or mailman,'cause she sure is happy to be helping me get ready for the trip.That's fine,as long as I get a good send off. Jerry

Those S&Ws seem to shoot really well. A friend of my Dad had one in 22-250 and it was his go to varmint rifle.

My wife didn't seem to mind getting rid of me this year either. The week leading up to deer season she actually started to get on me about packing for the trip. She made plans with one of her girlfriends for one of the days I was gone.

Wish I were going with but I'd probably seek the comfort and stay in the cabin with the old farts and get drunk!! I struck out in the Arizona lottery drawing for both Elk and Deer. With the drought, the numer of permits is down and as long as this state continues to grow in population, it gets harder every year. I've never hunted desert muleys, I prefer to go north and get in pine country. You're right they are hard to see and you have to be a good shot as the ranges are usually extended and from what I've heard, more often than not, they are on the move. Most desert muleys I've seen been while Quail or Javalina hunting. I've never seen an alive adult from less than 200 yards. In the flat terrain they blend in to the desert and are hard to spot unless they are moving. They see you long before you see them. Most desert muley hunters I know prefer the long range flat shooting numbers like 25/06 and 270.

Well dudes,I'm waiting on my ride to get here,so we can head on down to the border for the muledeer hunt.It's a 10 hour drive and am dreading it,sorta.I'll be back Saturday night,so you cats be sweet to each other and behave.Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back and have a report.I got a real wide,for a desert muley,5 piont.3 big,wide branched points on one side,and a big fork on the other.He's definately not a fork-horn young deer,because he had a big body,and the rack is a lot wider than his ears.He was across a canyon looking at me when I saw him,and those horns out past his ears got him shot.I was dissapointed in the points when I finally got to him,but he's a nice deer and needed to be culled.The .308 S&W made by Husqvarna keep it's reputation intact.That took place Monday.Wed.we were heading back to camp at noon driving along a hogback,when something caught my attention,and then I could see it was a deer standing up about 200 yrd.s across the next ridge.He was a nice deer with lots of points,and I could tell they were wider than the ears(a rule we have),and told my buddy kinda where he was,but I didn't think he'd ever see it before it took off.He finally plunked at him with his 7mag,and shot under it,a bunch.I told him he shot low,so he raised it some and squeezed off another,and down it went.When it dropped,I saw movement to the left of him,and dang if there wasn't another laying in some brush,and he stood up.It wasn't as wide as the other,but somewhat taller.We called the guys that were already back at camp and told them that if they wanted a deer,they better get over here in a hurry.It took them 20 minutes to get there,and in the mean time,the second deer had layed back down,but stood up when they drove up.They made the new guy take the shot,and he dropped him in it's tracks with a .300mag.They both aimed high,and both took out backbones.It turned out to be a 6 point.My buddies,the first deer is a beautiful,even 10 pt.I made a deal that if all the others would cook and do dishes,I'd clean all deer that were killed,so I worked my ass off with 2,probably 250lb deer,to dress at the same time in 80 degree weather.The new guy was almost stroking out he was so happy.He said on the way back to camp,that it'd top everything off if he could get a javelina,and we hadn't gone a 1/4 mile when I spotted some in a dry creek.He rested on a cactus for a rest,and one shot,one javelina.I think he might have suffered a mild heart attack after that.Now I had that stinking thing to clean too.In 6 years hunting that ranch,there has been 5 deer killed there,and I had killed all 5.This year it's 3 deer in 3 days.Aother guy shot and lost a deer and his son shot 2 times and missed.I found blood,but after tracking it a mile without any big pools of blood and never a stumble or lay down,we weren't going to find it.Those 2 will go out and buy new guns,rangefinders,GPS's and binocs just because they missed.They're good old boys,but have more money and excuses than hunting and shooting skills.I shot 15 quail Friday,and most were Gambels quail.I've heard of them all my life,and never had seen one until this year.My bird book said they're rare in Texas except from El Paso to Big Bend Park along the Rio Grande,but are spreading.The book is 10 years old,so I reckon they are spreading.Wish I hadn't shot them now.We had a great time.My buddies Dad that got us going down there,missed last year and 4 days the year before that because his wife was fighting cancer.He lost her in Febuary and is still having a hard time,but the trip done that old man more good than a 100 Dr. Phils.His son finished a nasty divorce back in August,losing $800,000.00 in 401 money and a house,but the trip put him back on track,and I kept telling him he had a queer grin on his face I hadn't seen in years.Much beer was drank,lots of steaks and ribs were eaten,and my jaws are as sore as Rods wife from all the smiling and laughing.My new nickname is Dead-eye Doughty after I spotted the animules for the other guys.I told them it aint hard to impress blind dudes.What a great time this Redneck had.Gotta go.My Grandaughters spent the night and are squalling for pancakes.Jerry