Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Marlin Model 60

karlunity

My opinion and also of several others I know is that they are great as long as they work, but when you start to have problems, throw em away. I bought my Dad one brand new and we had feeding issues. Sent it back to Marlin and they sent us a new one. Recently had one in the shop that also had feeding issues. On the other hand, my childhood friend had one and we probably put 10,000 rounds through it. We averaged a brick a weekend back then. Hard to beat the price.

2 times I've had model 60's that had feeding problems,and both times the dudes were shooting Remington shells.The extracter wouldn't catch the hull,and would try to load a shell on an empty.A friend had a 700 Rem..270 that done the same thing with Rem. shells.I have a model 60 Marlin,and have never had a problem with it,but I have shot it in years either.Jerry

i had a stainless model 60, and had no problems outta it...very accurate gun for a semi. Only thing i hated was tube fed...tubes in my opinion suck. but hey for that price its an good deal on a good quality made tackdriver!

Keep it clean and its a nice little rifle. Repaired one for my great-nephew about a year ago. Had to replace the firing pin after a million or so rounds. It was his dad's old gun from when he was a kid. Just don't take the trigger assembly apart or you'll be saying words the Hippy will wash your mouth out for. :o

Swamprat

I don't care for them. Could just have been bad luck back in the days when I used to do allot of horse trading. Like Z I got Marlin to replace one, the barrel started unscrewing from the receiver on the one I had. I sent a lower priced Glenfield and got back a higher quality Marlin marked model in return. If you're a pawnshop junkie like me, there are all kinds of good used 22's out there, many for dirt cheap prices.

I've got a stainless Model 60 and wouldn't take for it. Its accurate as can be and digests (accurately) all types of .22LR ammo. I've been shooting it for seven years and have probably put 50,000 rounds through it. The only problem I ever had with it was rear tab of the cheap plastic triggerguard broke off. Well heck, slapped a little Acra-gel on it and its good a new. I hunt squirrels with it every year...it puts meat on the table.

My Model 60 would probably be one of the last guns I'd ever get rid of.

For $119, I don't see where a man would be wrong to purchase one. Just be sure to buy a scope for it. The factory issue sights leave much to be desired.

I had one, an older one. I sold it to a fellow because I did not like the stiff trigger pull. He told me he could not shoot it accurately because of the stiff trigger. Duh! That's why I sold it!

Recently a friend brought me a brand new 60 with a boresighted Nikon scope on it. I sighted it in for him and it did very well. I especially liked the Nikon scope. The trigger was not as stiff on it as my old one.

And yes, there are probably more of these floating around than any other .22 semi-auto.

fritz

Missed them..all sold out : (

The Hippy said that that means that something better is coming.

karl

For what it's worth, I think the Hippy is right.

My Dad taught me to shoot on his model 60, plain jane model. A couple years back he bought a new stainless version for himself. He still has both rifles and both are in good working condition.

Marlin has pretty darn good customer service, Dad bent the action spring when he cleaned it once and Marlin sent him a replacement free of charge. To keep them cycling properly you need to clean out the action as carbon builds up in there over time.

They are a good rifle in my experience, loads of fun. I would probably own a few myself but I like bolt action 22's myself because it forces a young shooter to concentrate on each shot a little more than a semi.

Jimro

my stainless banger is quite accurate when it's clean. put a little bushnell scope on it, modified the stock for easier charging, i like it! it's not as nice as my Browning BL-22, but i also dont worry about dinging the stock or rust.