Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Which Type Of Solder To Use On Front Sight Blade?

AzRednek

I have a High Standard 22 revolver and the front sight is coming loose. I soldered it in about 20 years ago and I would like it to stay put permanatly. I don't know jack about solder but have heard tin solder, silver solder, acid core, rosin core etc is the best. What do you guys use and suggest for sights?? I have some tin solder I use for bullet casting and assume it is likely what I used previously.

hi az, If it were me, I would use silversolder 'cause it would take more heat from constant firin' to melt it. It also takes more heat to solder it. Rosin core solder requires very little heat to melt. It's used for electrical pcb's wires etc.If you're not generating more than 350degs constantly any ofthe solder you mentioned will work. Like stated earlier, I would use the silver solder as my first choice. Just my .035 worth, Dave

AZ, a good propane torch should do it if it's tin solder, but put a wood dowel in the bore to keep it from oxidizing. I would try cleaning & clamping the sight again and resolder it with the tin solder. It will probably last another 20. Silver solder takes a little more heat to work.

Spiris