Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Gun Show Find?

ironweld7

this is my first post sorry if its not in the right place. was at the springfeild mass. gun show today, found a table were all guns are half price or less. looking at a mauser, looked ok except for the chopped up stock. looked at the tag $50..00 stopped looking and took it home. the reciever crest saysfabrica dearmas la corona 1950. can any one tell me what it is. im pretty sure its a large ring, would like to know if it has large or small threads. also all numbers match, not scrubed out and restamped or electro penciled. no import stamp. any help would be good. thanks Ironweld

Hate to welcome you into this group with bad news. You're definitely in the right place and hope you stick around.

You have a Spanish Mauser. It is definitely not good for a sporter project unless you want to invest into heat treating the receiver. I can tell you from my personal experience and my being hard headed about it. It will be trouble than what it is worth. I put allot of work into one and within less than a hundred rounds it developed a head space problem. A gunsmith told me it had what he called "receiver set-back" from the receiver being to soft. Spanish steel has the reputation of being inconsistent. From what I've heard and read you might or might not get a good one and they run both ways either being on the soft side or hard and brittle.

Maybe somebody else will chime into this thread with answers about the thread size and heat treating. If you're looking to start a Mauser project, perhaps somebody can suggest a good source for a receiver. Somebody else might disagree with me but I strongly discourage re-barreling a 50's La Corona receiver. I'm speaking from personal experience and two attempts. One was late 40's the other 1950. My second attempt when we removed the barrel it took a good portion of the receiver threads with it.

I still have one original La Corona, 1948 I think. I swore off Spanish Mausers but couldn't resist it. Can't recall the price, I bought it dirt cheap in the late 70's or early 80's in near mint condition from Springfield Sporters. I've probaby put a few hundred yards through it and so far so good.

I agree Dave,but maybe with a good barrel,the bottom metal,and a complete bolt,he still got his moneys worth of parts if and when he finds another reciever.Are the Spanish bolts hardened enough if you stay with original calibers or lower pressure rounds?Don't reckon I've heard that discussed before.I probably would have bought it just for parts,specially if the bolts are good.Welcome to the board ironweld7!!! Jerry

I agree with what has been said. Metalurgy on these is iffy. Most are only ok, but some are a problem waiting to happen. Setback is very common but they also can run too hard.

Best use of this in my opinion would be to fund yourself a better action. Since it has matching numbers it is worth more as a collector than as a platform for a custom rifle. Sell it to a collector and walk away with a profit.

If the front ring diameter measures approximately 1.400" then you have yourself a 98 and it will have large threads.

I could maybe see using the receiver as-is for a low pressure round. You'd get a good amount of use that way. But for a higher pressure round, I'd shy away from it even with recarburising an option. The machining is spotty and with so many good mausers still floating around, I'd not invest my time.

On the other hand, a $50 receiver is a good one to learn on. Just limit yourself to reasonable cartridges. A 6.5x55 or 7x57 loaded to US specs should last quite a while.

While I wouldn't use one for one of my custom rifles I still think $50 was a good deal. I have to admit, I have one somewhere just like yours. Why? Because I only paid $50, lol.

Hum..I agree with the fellas.

But you might try using the "load" 13 grains of red dot.

less pressure

karl

Also, remington factory ammo will be a good choice. I use it in all my Husky 96's in 8x57. They love it and deer never complain that it isn't powerful enough.

As a shooter with sane ammo it is hard to say it isn't worth what you paid.

Heck, yesterday I walked out of a gunstore $106 lighter but with a Savage 325B .30-30 in tow. It was impossible to pass up a fully functioning centerfire rifle (non-mosin nagant, lol) with a price tag of only $99. I tried but, an hour later fighting the rapidly falling snow and drivers set on playing bumper cars, I found myself back at the shop asking the counterman to run a patch down the bore. What looked like a sewer pipe suddenly shone as if brand new. The rest is history.

They play bumper cars in the snow in Colorado, too? I thought that was just a California sport....

Difference is, in CA it is rain or shine, here, usually just in the snow, lol.

Gotta admit, I was sad to see much of it melt today.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 1901 Spanish Mauser 93 that I made a sporter from. It started as a $20 gunshow receiver. I added a GPC 7.62x39 bbl, $20 extractor (that hurt), stock from my Turk 98 take off, scope mounts, $20 scope. Still fiddling with it. Gave it a tune up over Christmas and made a new ejector from some 304 restaurant counter top. Recoil is very mild. Anyway, for a 107 year old action, it does pretty well and has been a learning experience.

Doc is your's a German manufactured receiver?? I had a 93 or 95, can't recall which that I sportorized leaving the original barrel. Should have stopped there as I have been hooked since, it was my first. Anyhow I horse traded it away years ago but I believe it was a German and not a Spanish manufactured Mauser.

It was a 7X57 and after I had decent sights put on it, it shot pretty good. We used to shoot long distance at metal dongs. I'm not sure what kind of group it would have scored but it dinged as well as any other iron sighted rifle I had except maybe my 03 Springfield. During the same era I also had an original Spanish made 93 or 95 and it didn't shoot worth a tinker's dam. Looking back, knowing what I know now, it likely had a shot out barrel.

Best I recall, when I fooled around with Spanish Mausers in the early 70's. I used to pay a whopping 20-30 bux a piece. I might still have a Interarms hang tag off of one of the 93/95 Mausers in my picture files, if its still there I'll post it a bit later.

mauser-2.jpg

mauser-1.jpg

It's Spanish, not German. I bought a small ring 8MM bbl for it at the same show, but chickened out on running that and eBay'ed the barrel for more than I gave for it. I think the 7.62x39 is about as hot as I'd care to go on the soft Spanish action, although I'm sure people have run the big stuff through them.

I've been thinking about getting back into reloading. I used to reload "non reloadable" steel 7.62x39 with a cast bullet and a gas check. It was quite a bit of work, but I did it to see if it could be done during the last Klinton regime. I have no ammo shortage and haven't been shooting big stuff for a while, so I haven't reloaded anything in years. But with the prices now through the roof (Sportsmans' Guide advertising 223 for only 50 cents each), I might load up some steel 7.62x39 again just for the hell of it and run it through this rifle. I gotta find some 30 gas checks or make a die set to roll my own. The secret to success with the steel cases is to glue the primers in with a drop of red loctite on the bottom after you are done, then let them sit bullet down a couple days for it to harden up and wipe off the excess. Ones I did like this 10+ years ago still shoot fine. Most would probably be OK in a bolt gun without the glue, but in an AK the primer can pop out when the bolt strips a round off the mag. AK's don't care. They'll keep shooting with the receiver full of powder and loose primers. Amazing. Also, different batches of steel cases have different sized primer pockets. Some work OK when pushing a new primer in, some are too tight and some are too loose. You can't swage the steel cases if they're too small, as the steel just don't give like brass does.

It's Spanish, not German. I bought a small ring 8MM bbl for it at the same show, but chickened out on running that and eBay'ed the barrel for more than I gave for it. I think the 7.62x39 is about as hot as I'd care to go on the soft Spanish action, although I'm sure people have run the big stuff through them.

I've been thinking about getting back into reloading. I used to reload "non reloadable" steel 7.62x39 with a cast bullet and a gas check. It was quite a bit of work, but I did it to see if it could be done during the last Klinton regime. I have no ammo shortage and haven't been shooting big stuff for a while, so I haven't reloaded anything in years. But with the prices now through the roof (Sportsmans' Guide advertising 223 for only 50 cents each), I might load up some steel 7.62x39 again just for the hell of it and run it through this rifle. I gotta find some 30 gas checks or make a die set to roll my own. The secret to success with the steel cases is to glue the primers in with a drop of red loctite on the bottom after you are done, then let them sit bullet down a couple days for it to harden up and wipe off the excess. Ones I did like this 10+ years ago still shoot fine. Most would probably be OK in a bolt gun without the glue, but in an AK the primer can pop out when the bolt strips a round off the mag. AK's don't care. They'll keep shooting with the receiver full of powder and loose primers. Amazing. Also, different batches of steel cases have different sized primer pockets. Some work OK when pushing a new primer in, some are too tight and some are too loose. You can't swage the steel cases if they're too small, as the steel just don't give like brass does.

I'd have mated an 8x57 barrel to it and just shot rem factory loads through it like I do for my commercial swede 96 sporters in 8x57.