Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bolt Material

scott63

if you don't have a stel supply house nearby you can use 3/4" grade 5 bolts to make your bolt bodies. i used 3/4" grade 5 bolts from the local hardware store for the last couple of bolts i made. usually the grade 5 bolts cut, finish, weld & blue pretty good. or at least the ones i've been buying do.

I think the Talley handles are made from 1018 or 1020. I have made a few myself from low carbon steel and had absolutely no problems. I have also made some from tool steel and sometimes welding that stuff is a little more difficult. If you have difficulty getting a smooth finish on the low carbon stuff just hit it with some sandpaper while its still chucked up in the lathe.

I think the Talley handles are made from 1018 or 1020. I have made a few myself from low carbon steel and had absolutely no problems. I have also made some from tool steel and sometimes welding that stuff is a little more difficult. If you have difficulty getting a smooth finish on the low carbon stuff just hit it with some sandpaper while its still chucked up in the lathe.

I didn't have any problems with the finish, ran at a high rpm and that was fine. I made a handle and knob for a tacticle rifle, mainly just for practice time on my lathe. I figured it it came out, great, if not---well I still would learn something from the run time. It came out better than I expected. I recessed the bottom, hard to see in the pics and I may deepen that before I use it, just wasn't sure about welding/bluing.................Scott

post-472-1198123198_thumb.jpg

post-472-1198123210_thumb.jpg

I have a tactical style rifle/ target rifle project running around in my head. I thought about making a handle similar to yours only using a parting tool to make grooves in the knob part of the handle. I'm not sure how it would look on a rifle but in my head it looks pretty good! As for yours, welding and bluing should be no problem. 1018 welds great and blues just as well. Bluing is just a rusting process and that stuff rusts easily. Good luck!

I have a tactical style rifle/ target rifle project running around in my head. I thought about making a handle similar to yours only using a parting tool to make grooves in the knob part of the handle. I'm not sure how it would look on a rifle but in my head it looks pretty good! As for yours, welding and bluing should be no problem. 1018 welds great and blues just as well. Bluing is just a rusting process and that stuff rusts easily. Good luck!

Thank you all for the info.............Scott