Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Low dollar project

Pedestal

Ok, I have this takeoff 7.65x53 barrel, and a Turk action. The barrel is in fair shape, hate to trash it. Simple solution would be to leave it original caliber, BUT, headspace problems might arise, plus it probably wouldn't hurt to clean up the throat a bit. So in order to leave it original, I'd probably have to have a reamer made-which would take it out of the low cost area. So, what to do? Anybody familiar with a "simple" wildcat? Forget the idea?

Might as well give the original chamber a try - you might get lucky and it doesn't cost anything but 15 min of time to try. Unless the chamber is too short you can work with a long chamber by creating a false shoulder - maybe necking up to 8 mm would be enough to fire-form safely. Or if you're making your brass from -06 (and why wouldn't you) you can just leave them long and you're good to go.

If you're too short you'll want to ream (although you could chuck-up the die and shorten the required amound, shouldn't be much) and the good 'ole 30-06 is a tried-and-true conversion for these barrels. Keep in mind that these barrels are usually > .308. Mine do much better with .312 bullets designed for the 303.

I have the same idea. I just got an 1891 sans magazine. The barrel is in excellent shape. I was thinking of installing it on a Turk 98. the shank is long but I figured on using a false shoulder. Sort of a spacer/collar that would sandwich B/T the barrel's shoulder and the receiver. That would allow me to adjust headspace as needed and not use another reamer.

You don't say what model your 7.65 barrel came off of nor what model action you plan to mate it to. Is it a LR bbl or SR? Mine of course is a SR.

The barrel is a LR, from a 98 Argy.

The 30-06 sounds like a viable plan, but as the barrel is on 20" or so (The barrel came off a carbine), I'd rather use something a bit smaller than the 06...

No flies on the orginal chambering, I might be able to play with the dimensions (since it has to be rethreaded anyway) but getting the sight holes down (or up!) and the headspace set sounds like a devilishly ticklish proposition...

I slugged the bore, and near as I could tell, it's .312

You may or may not need a reamer.

If you want the sight holes to line up for original sights, simply install the barrel and clock the sights themselves to 12:00. As best I've seen, all Mauser sights have bands that completely wrap the barrel so if your sight holes are off, the bands will cover up the old holes. You may wish to drill new shallow ones, but they're just so the sights will lines up and nothing else.

Otherwise, spend some quality time with your micrometers, a headspace gauge, your action, and a pad and pencil. Rethreading alone may not require a reamer.

Worst case scenario, you can rent a reamer for a few bucks + deposit. My 'smith has had good luck with a rental place he found in the back of a Shotgun News. In any event, this should be a fairly low dollar straight forward project for you.

Now if you absolutely decide you can't stand the barrel and decide to get rid up it, I'm just up the road in Nacogdoches... biggrin.gif

Take care,

Jason

A potential fly in the ointment is using a large ring barrel thread on what is normally a small ring thread receiver. What threads does your turk have?

If the thread issue is not a problem, I think the safe thing to do would be to chamber for 30-06 using 30-06 headspace gauges, and then load .311-.312 bullets.

Clemson

A potential fly in the ointment is using a large ring barrel thread on what is normally a small ring thread receiver.  What threads does your turk have?

If the thread issue is not a problem, I think the safe thing to do would be to chamber for 30-06 using 30-06 headspace gauges, and then load .311-.312 bullets.

Clemson

2821[/snapback]

The barrel is LR, the reciever is SM. I'd have to rethread. (Which I have done before, it's not a big problem) Yeah, despite the short bbl, the 06 option might be the thing to do...

If the thread issue is not a problem, I think the safe thing to do would be to chamber for 30-06 using 30-06 headspace gauges, and then load .311-.312 bullets

More potential ointment in the fly: If you go that route you will need a removable pilot reamer, one with the proper pilot for a .311 bore.

In my experience 9 out of 10 dentists recommend. Oops I mean 9 out of 10 barrels tend to be generous with the headspacing. You can almost always face the breech to tighten things up. This usually gives you lots of room when rebarrelling.

To be hoest, I'd be more incline to leave it as-is until you figure out whether the headspacing will be correct. If you already have the receiver in hand and the 7.65 barrel you should already know if the headspace will work. If it will, leave it as-is. If it won't, then the .30-06 idea is a good one. I have an -06 reamer you can use if you want to buy the proper pilot bushing for it.

as-is.  If it won't, then the .30-06 idea is a good one.  I have an -06 reamer you can use if you want to buy the proper pilot bushing for it.

2825[/snapback]

Thanks very much for the offer. I had wondered about the pilot bushing business, if going the 06 route. I'm assuming the "normal" bushing would be on the order of .300", I -think- I'd need one on the order of .308". I have not taken the mics to the project yet-it's just been in the "idea" stage. I'll take some measurements soon, and see what gives.