Military Firearm Restoration Corner

World's Kewlest Air Rifle

Allright, this may not strictly speaking be sporterizing. It's more like fixing. But I though you fellow milsurp geeks might like to see this.

Fritz's passing kicked me in the pants on this - got me to phyisically go down to my internet provider and refuse to leave until ftp was working again so that I could post pictures - and because this air rifle was formerly the property of an East Carolinian who recently passed away in the Pamilico sound (NC) during a storm while sailing a boat that he'd built himself.

There's been a lot of passing away lately. I guess it happens to the best of us.

Anyway this air rifle was given by his widow to a friend of mine in the wildlife club I belong to out here. The handle that activated the loading port had been broken off and he thought I might be able to fix it - I guess I'm getting a reputation for being able to fix things that "gunsmiths" won't touch (not that I would have touched this if I were in business - sometimes its good to be an amature).

The handle was broken off with a bit of the base still connected to the port. I tack welded with OA the handle back onto the base right where it broke and then drilled through the base about half way up the handle for a pin. I used 0.060" spring wire that I used for pins making Sparky, my muzzle loader. I left about 1/8" out of the base proud and then welded it right into the base. Then I finished up around the break. Its as pretty as I could make it with files and sand paper (not very) but I think its fixed for good.

This air rifle is 50s vintage made by Anschutz under contract from Egypt. Its a Hakim trainer and about as heavy as my Garands. It's got a bunch of Arabic script on it that a friend of mine has translated "die die die scum infidel", and a kewl skull surrounded by flames above the loading port. It's a 22 cal springer and packs a wallop and will tear a single hole in a paster on a carboard box in my 15 yd crawlspace "range"

WCAR.jpg

I've heard of that type of rifle before. I might have read about them in SGN's air rifle column. That guy would certainly know a lot about them, regardless. You might have your friend email him if he is interested. If I recall, yes, it was some type of trainer for the Egyptians and made to look and feel just like whatever their main battle rifle at the time was.