Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Black & white tv

fritz

You could hardly see for all the snow,

Spread the rabbit ears as far as they go.

Pull a chair up to the TV set,

"Good Night, David. Good Night, Chet."

Depending on the channel you tuned,

You got Rob and Laura or Ward and June.

It felt so good. It felt so right.

Life looked better in black and white.

I Love Lucy, The Real McCoys,

Dennis the Menace, the Cleaver boys,

Rawhide, Gunsmoke, Wagon Train,

Superman, Jimmy and Lois Lane.

Father Knows Best, Patty Duke,

Rin Tin Tin and Lassie too,

Donna Reed on Thursday night! --

I wanna go back to black and white.

Everything always turned out right.

Simple people, simple lives...

Good guys always won the fights.

Now nothing is the way it seems,

In living color on the TV screen.

Too many murders, too many fights,

I wanna go back to black and white.

In God they trusted, alone in bed, they slept,

A promise made was a promise kept.

They never cussed or broke their vows.

They'd never make the network now.

But if I could, I'd rather be

In a TV town in '53.

It felt so good. It felt so right.

I'd trade all the channels on the satellite,

If I could just turn back the clock tonight

To when everybody knew wrong from right.

Life was better in black and white!

fritz

Guest MorgansBoss

When my boys were about eleven & twelve I got an old B&W TV from somewhere - sombody's attic or something. Fired it up and the oldest said; "what's wrong with the picture?" Until then it'd never ocured to me that they'd never seen a B&W screen. They thought it was hilarious - I felt very old.

Just in case some of you snot nose kids didn't know,when your TV screwed up,you could pull the 10-15 tubes out of the back,and go to some of the larger grocery stores or drug stores,and they had tube testers about the size of a vido arcade game that you could plug the tubes into the correct spot,and hit a test button to check it.If you found one bad,on a shelf under the top,there were new tubes you bought and went home and fixed your TV.Those old rotory tuners sure sucked.You found your channel,and then barely moved the knob back and forth until the picture was clear,hopefuly.TV's and chainsaws are the only 2 things I can think of that cost about the same as back in the 50's and 60's and are much better now.Jerry

Remember how a sharp slap was usually needed for best reception?

Those were the days when solid state meant ice.

I think we'd all benefit from an occaisional return to an all-analog world. It might help remind us that Newtonian physics are still at work. Apollo 13 was just on the History Channel. The scene of the engineers plotting trajectory with slide rules and scratch paper was excellent.

LOL, Doble Troble...I use "percussive maintenance" techniques whenever and wherever I can!

I have a satellite receiver that seems to have some trouble warming up or something...it distorts the images on the television until I walk by and give it a little smack...then it's fine.

If my laptop computer makes a funny sound, a harsh tap on it seems to set things aright again (though, currently, my laptop is in the shop...unrelated to my maintenance -- I hope!).

I am almost 42 years old and I only know black and white T. V. from my less fortunate friends and neighbors, my Dad, who was a true-blue technophile got us one of those big ol' Quasar 25 inch console color T. V.s back in the '60s...we never had a bit of trouble from that thing, and it was on constantly...switched between all three channels! LOL!

Meanwhile, my huge ol' 56 inch RCA rear projection T. V. that I had for less than 4 years died just before the warranty ran out.... Maybe it's not just what was broadcast in black and white...maybe it was the sets themselves?!

I just turned 42 and we didn't have a color TV until I was in High School. (We were middle class, just old fashioned I guess!) For years I never knew what colors my favorite NFL teams wore! It seems to me that color TVs took quite a while before they were any good. I remember my neighbor's color set had a horrible rainbow hue to it. Our B&W had a nice clear picture, but we had to slap it around occasionally when it got fuzzy. I also remember replacing tubes on occasion as well.

By the way Fritz, excellent poem!

"You're a poet and you don't even know it. But your feet sure show it, they're Longfellows and they smell like the Dickens!"

Doble Troble --

I would like to be able to take credit for the term "percussive maintenance", but I am sure that I ripped it off somewhere!

It's a nice term though...one can sneak it into a conversation and it sounds very officious...it isn't until days later that others realize what you've said. LOL!