Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Had A Good Weekend

roscoedoh

Had a great weekend!

My weekend started about three weeks ago at the Lodge Christmas party. I was talking to a buddy of mine about hogs and hog hunting and I mentioned that I'd just about pay to shoot a hog. "You really want to hunt hogs??" he says to which I replied "definitely!" My buddy went on to tell me about an area of their farm that had been clear cut, cleaned up, and replanted about six years ago that is now over run with hogs and wouldn't I like to come out and kill a few. Well...sure...of course I'd glad to help.

Fast forward to yesterday. We met up out at his farm and checked the zero on our scopes and shot the breeze for a bit. Then it was time to go hunting. He had gone down the previous afternoon and put corn out everywhere he wanted me to hunt and had everything ready for me. I was set up at the two best spots (they're about 200 yards apart) and he took off for the river bottoms.

I got shots at two hogs on Saturday, missed the first completely and hit but could not find the second. We searched for about an hour Saturday evening, but the replanted clear cut was just too thick to try and find anything. You'd have to step on it the second hog to find it but unfortunately, neither me nor my friend stepped on it.

So, we decided to try again today. I wanted to hunt the first location where I had missed my first hog yesterday in the hopes that I'd get a second chance. I was not disappointed. No sooner had I turned the corner leading to the tripod stand than there were five big hogs munching on corn. They looked at me and made for the trees. Not knowing what else to do I eased up into the stand and waited.

At approximately 5:45PM this evening, four hogs walked. Three were facing away from me. The forth was looking passed me. I took my time as I set the cross hairs on him - I would not miss another hog. I took a breath and squeezzeeddd....

And viola! The third time was a charm.

Pigs001.jpg

I had bagged a 75+ pound boar hog. No stink, just nice meat. Here he is just before we butchered him:

Pigs003.jpg

Here's the end result; a heck of a Sunday supper:

Pigs005.jpg

I was very pleased with my 30-06 and terminal performance of the stock Winchester bullet. This is the first animal I've taken with my 30-06 since I put it together two years ago. It always feels good to bag game with a rifle you built from scratch. Also, the over the counter $14/box Winchester ammo I killed this hog with performed well. The bullet mushroomed on impact, drove through the hogs shoulder, and lodged under the skin just in front of the hind leg on the opposite side. The bullet also remained intact for the entire performance and is now sitting on top of my dishwasher. (A little trophy from the hunt :P )

I had fried wild hog tenderloins, rice, and sweet potatoes for supper. An excellent meal and hell of a way to end a weekend.

I had a good weekend and wanted to share with the rest of you guys. Yall take care!

-Jason