Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Need Someone To Build Me A "tweede".

First post after being referred to this forum with my question.

I have posted this on serveral forums with mixed responses.

Some say go buy a commerical gun, it is cheaper.

Others try to talk me into another caliber for whatever reason.

I want to find a good gunsmith to build me a "Tweede" who is relatively close to me.

I have read a lot about this caliber and have this "itch", that I think only a "Tweede" will scratch.

I have recently bought a CG 1903 M96 military version and want to keep it original.

But, I want another rifle in a good setup to hunt and target shoot with that can stand the higher pressures of modern and handload cartridges.

The Turkish mauser action with a 6.5x55mm barrel fitted so that the torque shoulder on the barrel and the bottom surface on the action meet at the same time when assembled.

I don't reload yet.

I live in the middle of NC in Lee County.

Anyone have a recommendation?

Welcome to the site, Plank Road Farm. You have a good plan going and hope you get what you want. To make a "tweede" with an original swede barrel will take a little searching. Original Swede 6.5x55 barrels are few and far between. But you have some good choices available in new barrels from different manufacturers in that caliber. A good Turk K.kale action is a fine starting place, and we have on this site, some fine gunsmiths who have built some nice rifles and are willing to answer your questions. Let us know if we can help you. I too live in NC.

Spiris

like alot of other people i should kick myself for not stocking up on m96 barrels when they were availible new for about $80 & k kales when they were $50.

i got lucky on gb a few months back & picked up a k kale action with a m96 barrel for $55. one of those times i put in a bid thinking there no way i'll get it for that price.

the barrel isn't new but its in very good shape.

i still haven't decided if i'm going to put it in a military stock or a sporter stock. i have to many other projects infont of it right now

like alot of other people i should kick myself for not stocking up on m96 barrels when they were availible new for about $80 & k kales when they were $50.

i got lucky on gb a few months back & picked up a k kale action with a m96 barrel for $55. one of those times i put in a bid thinking there no way i'll get it for that price.

the barrel isn't new but its in very good shape.

i still haven't decided if i'm going to put it in a military stock or a sporter stock. i have to many other projects infont of it right now

Do you want to sell it?

Do you want to sell it?

nope ,

funny thing about the auction was the guy ran the auction a few times with a forged bolt included before listing it the way i got it. the barrel, receiver & bolt went up to about $180 & didn't meet the reserve a couple of times. next time he lested it without the bolt starting at $55 with no reserve & i was the only one who bid on it.

i also saw a guy get a kliengunther for $50 once, i bet he's still smiling about that deal

i'm not sure how well it shot but that kleinguenther looked mint in the pictures, the seller had a lot of guns listed with $50 starting bid & no reserve and that one just happened to slip through the cracks.

one of the pawnshops near me has one for sale for around $1200