Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Nagant Shooting

Brenden

Heard a guy the other day saying he shot factory 308's through his Mosin. Is this guy blowing smoke or can it be done? I can't see where it would be safe or benificital, bolt isn't going to contact the shell for extraction, and plus the whole freakin diminsions of a 308 vs a 7.62X54 are completely diffrent. a major one being lenght..a whole case lenght of .100 diffrence? ( I think)?

Also, how accurate is a .308 dia slug in a .312 bore? I figure it wouldn't be bench rest quality, but maybe accetable? Thought about tryin hornady 150 sst's in .308 dia. through it. Just wondering.

Brenden

I'm not sure its possible. Even if it is, I'm not sure why you'd want to. It is never safe to fire a different cartridge than what your rifle is chambered for. All it would take is for one case to let go and you're screwed. Plus, surplus 7.62x54r is about 1/3 the cost of surplus .308 right so I can't see an economical advantage either.

I wouldn't do it if I were you.

I don't know why this guy does it. I think hes a dumbass myself. I'm not planning on doing it anythime soon so don't worry. Jason, have you had any expirence w/the .308 dia bullets in a .310-312?

brenden

I don't know why this guy does it. I think hes a dumbass myself. I'm not planning on doing it anythime soon so don't worry. Jason, have you had any expirence w/the .308 dia bullets in a .310-312?

brenden

Sounds like this guy is a good candidate for a white cane and guide dog --- at the best. Most of the MNs run over .312" and some run as high at .315" That's way oversize for a .308 bullet and I doubt whether it will even begin to obturate enough to grab the rifling--- especially after the base of the grossly undersized case blows out and let a lot of the gas back into the action and shooter's face. But if he wants to do it, who are we to defy the "Laws of Natural Selection". Just remember ignorance can be cured, stupid is forever.

My guess is he shot .308 bullets loaded in the Nagant rimmed cartridge and it got twisted in the rumor mill.

I was thinking the same thing.

I did have a customer shoehorn a .30-30 shell into a .308 Mauser. It fired and of course blew the case. The Mosin chamber is a good deal larger than the .308 win is, it's also longer ( the .30-30 and .308 are both 51mm). I doubt it would fire.

brenden

I do not. I have always reloaded .311" Sierra Matchkings for my Mosins. All my Mosins' bores are larger than .308" so I haven't tried any .30 caliber bullets in them.

only some, IIRC the M27 or M28. not the overwhelmingly more common M39.

Are these still in the surplus stream? I havn't seen any of these. LIke to have one to sporterize this summer.

brenden

The diameter of the bore on a Finn rifle will depend on the Finn gun. Some m/28/30s are .3085 and some m/39s are .3095. There are ones that are up to .311 that I have slugged. All of my Finn rifles have good bores.

So to answer your question about Finn rifles about bore diameter....it depends.