Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Newest Knife

724wd

Your a knife maker for sure Heath! I'm thinking that's going to be my retirement thing.I got about 5 years,so I need to start right now. Good job,keep it up,and get your name stamped on your work.People need to know who done the good work.Jerry

That is a sweet looking knife! Very nice.

You know, I played with those electrochemical etchers and droped the idea due to it being lousey for marking chamerings, just too many. But, I totally dropped the ball on marking the rifle with my logo/name.

Hmm, you need some gun work, and I could use another knife.......

I got an idea for the perfect knife,at least for me.I like the Buck Vanguard style,and is what I carry to field dress deer,but back at camp,when I'm skinning,I'd like a smaller skinning knife so I don't dull the big knife cutting through hair.I want a drop point 4''or5'' blade in a sheath,with a small skinning knife in a sheath made onto the first,and then a whetstone in a pocket on top of the skinning knife.What I'm getting at is the knives stacked,one sheath,with a whetstone.Maybe someday I can pickup knife making and build a setup like that.I've always meant to have a leather sheath made for whatever knife I'm using,and have a loop on the face of the sheath for a Mini Maglight.So many times I've gone to a deer stand or stayed after dark in the woods,and I forgot my flashlight in another jacket or just left back at camp,but I have never forgotten my knife.I have a need to keep things together.I've always had a problem with knife handles poking me in the ribs when bending sideways and it hare-lips me everytime,so I had a Dude make me a sheath for my Vanguard with the belt loop a little higher the the end of the knife,making it ride lower on my leg about 2'',and it made all the difference and is a pleasure to carry.It cost as much as the knife,but was way worth it it.He took the issue sheath apart and used it for a pattern making the top longer,and even stamped Buck back on it just like Buck does theirs.Sorry to get so long,but I truely do love knives.Jerry

yeah, it's automotive, but i bought it new from a spring manufacturer, so it was flat annealed stock. easy to work with. I thought about heat treating it myself with a AO torch, but the last time i tempered some blades, i screwed something up and they went soft. So i took this one and two others to a heat treating company here in town. $70 for the three, but the hit the hardness just right. even tested it on the Rockwell scale.

• 8 months later...

here are two knives I just completed a week or two ago. they represent the first knives i've done that i was responsible for the blade and handle. I've done a few kits, and one blade that is a skeletonized handle with no scales, so these are kinda my "first" knives...

little one is a rip-off of the Benchmade Activator in 5160. 2" blade, 5.5" OAL. 7/32" thick. Cocobolo w/red vulcanized liner. Hidden stainless pins. also my first attempt at leather work!

IMG_8729_CC.jpg

this fella is the same design handle as above, but with my idea of a skinning blade. same steel specs, with blade of 3" (3.5" cutting), OAL 7.5". same handle construction, as well. and a much better example of leather work!

IMG_8726_CC.jpg

IMG_8733_CC.jpg

Great job!! Sometimes I really feel like a mental midget but more often feel envious seeing the skills displayed in this group. I feel more like the previous poster, I'm doing good sharpening sharpening a knife.

Gotta agree with Fly mark them. I used to have a knife made by a former relative. He later became some what of a celebrity, not for his knife making but for a nationally syndicated radio program. His hand made knives with his markings now get a premium price.

When some cat sat hunkered down by a fire and whooped out a knife out of a piece of smooth rock he found,cut his finger and decided if it'd do that,he could use it instead of his teeth to skin an animule,it was a great day.To me,anyone that can make a knife from a hunk of steel,can pretty much take care of himself and family.A knife is so basic,and does so much.A knifemaker at a gunshow once told me,he could sell every letter opener he could haul to the show,if he had know so many people wanted them.Folks that don't hunt or fish still like the beauty of custom knives,and would buy letter openers for gifts.What I'm getting at,you might think of making very fancy letter openers and sell them to make money to buy the very best equipment,because you got the talent and need to run with it.Letter openers don't have to have a razor edge,or be tempered.You could be so creative making the stands or holders to.Everyone with a desk needs one.Sorry I'm in such a BSing mood.Beautiful work.Keep it up but don't forget your bolt action roots. Jerry