Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Arisakas My Collection

J.B

それは非常に優秀である。 = excellent it is

Thats neat, do you speak japanese? I actually bought all of these rifles in order believe it or not. I am glad I got the type 38, as I was going to spend 200 dollars on a less common variant, but it had a sanded stock, replaced sight, and a bent bolt handle which didnt match it. Although I am going to buy a sporter arisaka someday(if I can find a super cheap one that isnt too sported) so I can have a gun that I am not worried about shooting too much. These arisakas are so very well made, and very high quality(even the last ditches, I had the pleasure of shooting one at a range not to long ago, it was made in about march 1945, and the 100% last ditch rifles started showing up in about early 1944). These rifles are fun and addictive.

QUOTE (J.B @ Jan 26 2008, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats neat, do you speak japanese?

No, I used a translator, http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

It is not always perfect, before you use it to send a message, translate it back in English to make certain makes sense. The Jap sentence structure is different than ours. We say, it runs very fast, the Japs will say, very fast it runs. I've tried translating some Japanese proper nouns like Arisaka and Nogoya but didn't get any results.

• 3 weeks later...

J.B,I don't think I ever had a chance to see 99's and a 38 side by side.I didn't know T38's had a hinged floorplate and such a streamlined trigger guard.When I was a kid in the late 50's,there was still lot's of talk about hunters and their 25 caliber Jap rifles.There must have been lots of 38's then.I read one of your other post that you recently shot a last ditch,and it surprized me.I've been reading in the gun books all these years about never shooting Last ditch 99's,Carcano's,and pre-98 Mausers.If the last ditches had been so dangerous,The Japanese would've been unarmed as soon as they were issued and blown up.Military Gun Supply in Fort Worth had several a while back,and they were mighty crude,but neat looking at the same time.Nice collection,way nice! Jerry

Like I told J.B, last ditch, heck most of these "last ditch" rifles were better made than what some of these companies are putting out today. I believe it was John Pierpont Morgan (don't quote me on that) that made his fortune selling last ditch rifles, and imperfect guns to troops, bought them for $2 and sold for $23. The worst thing they did was blow the thumb off the shooter every now and then. I don't know if i could live thumbless or not.lol. Although J.B has really got me intrested in the Jap rifles.

Brenden

IF you get a good jap rifle you wont regret it, I dont(well, the only thing I regret is that I am always broke because Jap rifles are like legal crack). The last ditches people hear about blowing up are all trainers as the trainer can chamber live rounds and fire them, but if you do shoot a live round in a chamber, the gun will blow up. Last ditch rifles have the same care in making the reciever and barrel as the early ones, the japanese just deleted stuff from production that wasnt nescessary(like checkering the safteys, using metal for buttplates, and monopods and AA sights, and many other features). There is an upside to last ditches, if you hunt with them, they are extremely light and the metal can withstand touching(unlike the cold blued remchesterbys which get ugly fingerprints on them if you touch the barrel). And exploding last ditches are all myths created by racism toward japanese and gunsmiths who didnt want to waste their time working on them, if they truly did blow up, then that wouldve been harmful to the war effort, kill half your own troops with their own rifles and demoralize the rest. Carcanos are good shooters from what I have heard and the pre98 mausers should be shot only with low powered ammo(like an 8mm g88 shouldnt be shot with surplus 8mm and only custom loaded low power ammo). Brenden, you would really enjoy a jap rifle, they are starting to climb up in prices, but there are still deals to be had. Also almost all of them are bringbacks so you could have a good example of something brought home by a service man. Be careful with rechambered ones, the 7.7 ones rechambered to 30.06 are extremely innaccurate and if they arent reamed right, they can really bugger up the shell cases and not allow for extraction.

I believe I should re-quote my last statment. J.B, no offense was ment towards you, and i didn't mean to make it sound like all jap rifles would blow you up. I just selected the wrong wording. John Pierpont Morgan bought inproperly made rifles, not last ditch. Headspace, bolt problems and so on. Hence the missing thumb, head or other extrimidies. A japaneese intrest me, maybe at a gun show around here i'll be able to pick one up with out spending a fortune. What kind of price range are these guns going for J.B? The 30-06 reaming out, wow, don't think i'd want to touch one, esp. if there not done right. What kind of pressures do the 7.7's operate at?

Brenden

sporterizing fodder

fodder.jpg

What are the numbers on the bolts? Also what arsenals are the barreled actions? Do you have any Izawas? Were those guns taken out of bubbaed stocks?

Brenden, I understood what you said. I my point about last ditches had just been me talking about them. I understand 100% and had no intention of trying to attack you. I hope you find a good jap, just keep on the look out for a good one, they make excellent shooters, one you would want for just a representative would be an early rifle with the original finish and a matching bolt(matching bolt eliminates headspace problems). I think the pressure ackley blew the guns up was about 150,000 PSI(didnt actually blow the guns up, just blew the barrel off), while the mauser blew up at 90,000 PSI. The speed is about 2700 fps.

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (J.B @ Mar 11 2008, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My latest gun, last ditch type 99.

I look forward to shooting it. I have shot all of my guns except this one, and this one is going to get shot.

I'm with you on this one, I'd shoot it too. My first shot though would be waist high. If it is like my so-called last ditch models with the fixed sight it will shoot high. Aim with a 6 o'clock hold on your target ring at a hundred or so yards to get a good idea of where it hits the paper.

I'm with you on this one, I'd shoot it too. My first shot though would be waist high. If it is like my so-called last ditch models with the fixed sight it will shoot high. Aim with a 6 o'clock hold on your target ring at a hundred or so yards to get a good idea of where it hits the paper.

It did that with the rifle I had shot recently, and I figured out why. The sights on it were zeroed to 300 meters. What series and arsenal is your last ditch? Mine is a 34th series Toyo kogyo.

QUOTE (J.B @ Mar 12 2008, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It did that with the rifle I had shot recently, and I figured out why. The sights on it were zeroed to 300 meters. What series and arsenal is your last ditch? Mine is a 34th series Toyo kogyo.

Sorry I don't recall, my last ditches are buried deep and would take me awhile to dig them out. I have to completely empty all the contents of a closet to get to them. I'll go look and see if any are in my picture files, if not I may be digging them out in the next week or two. I've only got one with the mum intact, it is a bubbaized sporter I got at a yard sale.

Mums dont bother me, I dont really look for mums when I buy jap guns. I dont mess with sporters though unless the price is right. I have one gun that is unground and one that has a hacked mum. The hacked mum is on my type 38 and it is from Iwo jima.

• 1 month later...