Military Firearm Restoration Corner

War and the Bible

karlunity

I was reading the Bible, Book of Numbers, to be exact.

In chapter 31, the Israelites go to war against the Midianites.

When the host comes back from the war with victory, Moses reads them off because they took POW some boys and women.

Moses tellls the host to kill all the males of any age and any woman who has had intercourse, the virgins may be kept as slaves.

The idea here is to wipe out the foe ..genocide.

This surprised me, as a kid, I never read the Bible and always aussumed it was all peace and love.

Can you see the result if we still made war that way?

We would not have half the problems in the Mideast.

Karl

Its too bad we have that New Testament ammendment with all the turning the other cheek-type directives. Maybe this is why Isrealis are (or at least were - I'm not sure what's happening now) such badasses - they're strictly Old Testament.

The Old Testament is The Law. The New Testament is the covenant of grace. Those under grace (the children) live and conduct themselves under the higher law of grace (unmerited favor).

My old prof. said that under they were to wipe out the enemy, since intermarrying and associating with them would take them away from God, which happened with regularity. He said the wonder is not that God ordered them killed, but that He allowed anyone to live. Yup, we are all rascals.

God is no dummy. War is war, and it is okay to kill in war, or executing murderers. However, it is not okay to murder. The commandment is misquoted as "Thou shalt not kill". It really reads, "Thou shalt not murder". So, in practicality, we are allowed to execute justice and defend ourselves, but we are to be "innocent as a dove, and wise as a serpent".

Karl,

We must look at the reasons why God commanded genocide, simply put it was because of idolatry that would pollute the Israelites as FC mentioned. Remember when the Israelites DIDN'T wipe out there enemies? God told them that they would be a "thorn" in their side, even unto this day. "Thorn" in Hebrew is "Hamas"....

Anyways, the Bible is "all peace and love", it's just that most of us don't have God's point of view about peace and love. Peace doesn't always mean everyone gets along and sings songs, nor is love just happy feelings and free sex. We must wage war before we can have peace, whether that is war with our idolatrous nature or whatnot.

Jimro

I say that if you are going to war, go to war.

If you want to "make a statement" send a damn lace pants diplomat!

Guess I am just an old Testament type. But any half measures always seem to lead to defeat in the long run.

Karl