Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My Latest M44

Spiris

Thought that I would show my Mosin collection. The sporterized (oh my god, what have I done!) M44 is a pristine version with near perfect bore and metal. I fabricated the sleeve much like Steve Wagner shows on his site and cut it to accept the ATI front sight. I'm not really sold on the ATI sight, and I might modify the sleeve and reuse the original section of the front sight and pin it. The whole rifle is much lighter and quick handling. The laminated stock M44 is my latest acquisition. Pretty nice stock but the barrel on it looked as if it had not been cleaned since it was last used. A lot of green patches later shows a rough bore.

I'll just have to take them both to the range and try them. I pulled some of the Albanian military ammo and dropped the charges by 4 grains to try. I also have some 180 grain Prvi Partizan boxer primed to try. I do plan to modify the bolt on the sporter with a dropped bolt and the safety ring. The Mosins are still a good buy right now but we all know they do not possess the artful lines of a Mauser.

Spiris

post-237-1201714983_thumb.jpg

Spiris,

You probably already know this, but I didn't, and the reloading manual I was working from spec'ed 308 bullets for the x 54.

I didn't have any accuracy from surplus ammo or carefully reloaded ammo with 308 bullets.

Somehow I figured-out that a bigger bullet might be a good idea and I tried 312s.

My M38 with pristine bore is one of my most accurate milsurps now. Even with the Russian trigger.