Military Firearm Restoration Corner

barrel stamping

spec4 e4

in addition to your initials, you should stamp the chambering on the left side of the barrel just above the woodline, preferably between the chamber section and the forend. i have seen it done on the chamber and it looks good there too.

Guest MorgansBoss

Good point - I'm glad it was brought up. When most folks get involved in this hobby they neglect to stamp their master peices after re-working whether the barrel was replaced or not. Usually this leaves a rifle with no caliber reference for future owners. How many posts have we seen where somebody aquired an old sporter and was trying to determine the caliber? It's just good safety proceedures to clearly mark ALL barrels with caliber designation - whether you've swapped it out or not. With imported letter and figure stamp sets so inexpensive today there is no excuse for anybody doing this type work not to have one and use it. Caliber is critical - personal identification, such as your initials is just a good idea. Who knows, someday you might be famous and the gun will be worth a fortune to your heirs!

Good point on the chambering stamping. But if there is already the chambering stamped on the barrel, why restamp the chambering? I thought about it but did not restamped the barrel cause it is already stamped on the PH barrel. Looking good so far on the my two PH Barrel project with two Yugo M48 action. Still need triggers and bolt handles put on, also cut down to 24" long. I have two that are 26" long in the ER Shaw #6(1-1/4"). Very happy with it. Jane and Fred is working on the stock right now.

spec.4

Guest MorgansBoss

"...But if there is already the chambering stamped on the barrel, why restamp the chambering?" "The chambering stamping was already done and is at 12o'clock on the ph barrels..."

One very good reason I can think of to re-stamp these barrels - just above the stock line on the left side - is because your "12 o'clock" stamping may be hidden if the rifle is scoped. You may well know what every rifle in your collection is, but will your son, uncle,wife, buddy or someone else who may pick the worng gun up some day? This is the universal stantard (or at least the closest thing to one in the absence of an actual standard on such things) and it is so easy to do it just doesn't make sense not to. You should see the poduct of somebody accidently firing a .308 in a .270, it's scary!

I used to have a case a guy brought into the shop with his rifle to be checked out. He and his wife were shooting - him a .270 her a .308 and when she tried his rifle she picked up the wrong ammo out of habit. Of course caliber markings in neon lights probably wouldn't have prevented that accident but it wouldn't have hurt.

Quite a few times I've cautioned about not properly marking every sported or re-barreled gun. It can really get scary in the case of one-off wildcats that are almost but not quite something or other. The problem being that we are all mortal. We're all gonna die someday and all those pretty rifles are going to be left behind for someone else to shoot. In most cases it will be somebody who doesn't have the same level of knowledge or understanding on such things. If its your child or grandchild you don't want to meet him in heaven because he put the wrong cartridge in a rifle you built!

Don't mean to bust anyone's orbs but like I said before - it's just too cheap and simple to not do it! Stamp the chambering and Ser. # right there where anyone can see it and you've met the burden of "good faith." BTW Spec., you still in MD.?

If I'm not mistaken, it's also required by law that firearms be stamped with caliber for the very reasons cited.

I like the idea of customizing. If you're going to do a lot of them you can even get a custom stamp made!

The ".30-06 Monty"... What do you think, a collectible one day?!

MorgansBoss, Unfonturnly, I am still in the poor P@%$@ state of Maryland. Now I am driving for an OTR company and have an route that I follow. I Still trying to get home to Arkansas, but look like about 2-3 years before I can get down there. I can see you reason by restamping the chambering on the barrel.

Spec.4

If it is already marked ABOVE the woodline, this includes 12 o'clock, then I wouldn't mark it again as long as it was legible. Mainly because two caliber markings looks bad and stamped markings rarely look very good. Now, if one of those happened to end up below the woodline then I have to agree with Morgansboss in that you should remark it.

I just send mine to an engraver, Roger Kehr. But, even the trophy shop types can mark your barrel easily and cheaply. Cheaper than having a stamp made. I have stamped a few but really hate the variability associated with it.

Does anyone stamp their barrel with something that make it your own. 

2950[/snapback]

I saw a Mauser sporter in a pawn shop about a year ago. It was caliber stamped on the left and the right said something like "To My Son (initials) Xmas 1979". The personalised writing looked to have been etched rather than stamped. Kind of unique but depressing to see it in a pawnshop.

If I'm not mistaken, it's also required by law that firearms be stamped with caliber for the very reasons cited.

3033[/snapback]

My X father-in-law had a K98 Mauser he bought back from WW2. He had it converted by a friend to 8MM/06 and it WAS NOT stamped. I imagine there are alot of others in the same condition.