Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My son is in another hurricane

Horsefly

My boy and his wife are in Gulfport riding out the storm.When the Air Force decided to evacuate,the highways were already stopped,his neighbor set on I-10 3 hours and could almost see home and turned around and came back,so they decided to stay to keep from being caught in their car in the middle of a hurricane.He got all the windows boarded up and all outside stuff lashed down.I'm awful worried.Why do all the news reporters say that Camile was the deadliest hurricane in U.S. history,when 6,000+ were killed in Galveston in 1900?My Great Grandfather was the only survivor out of his family of 12,and him and someones dog walked all the way to Burneyville Oklahoma to be with relatives,and he was 12 years old.Jerry

Jerry,

Have you heard anything out of him yet? I was watching CNN earlier and it looks like the coast has gotten hit pretty bad. I hope everything turns alright for him and his wife. Keep us updated please.

Jason

Add me to the mix of people wishing your son and his wife the best in this situation with Katrina, Horsefly.

Maybe it's just the depth of coverage with Katrina, but it sure seems that this hurricane has done more damage than many of it's ilk...it's heartbreaking to watch the news and see the devastation...feeling powerless at this point to do anything but pray. But I guess that's something for the moment.

Please, Horsefly, keep us informed!

The kids made if fine through the wind.They lost some shingles and wood fence,and he's pretty sure his boat is gone or sunk.We finally got a call about 8 pm yesterday from them.Most houses in their subdivision are torn up pretty bad.They tried leaving Saturday,and couldn't get out of town because the highways were stopped from all the Alabama and Florida people.They've been hit so many times the last couple years they take the storms serious.They sure didn't want to stay,but were afraid of getting caught in their car,out of gas,food,and being stranded.The Air Force told my daughter-in-law to leave,but it was too late and they couldn't,so she went against orders and may be in trouble,but she's not the only one,so I bet she's ok.It sure was a long day yesterday not hearing from them knowing they were setting through 150 mph winds,but everythings ok.The news said it could be from 2 weeks to 2 months before they get the power back on.Thanks for your concern and when they do get power back,he's going to send pictures and I'll use it as an excuse to learn to post pictures here.Jerry.