Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1909 Argentine Octagon Bbl Project

z1r

Here's a couple of the stock so far. Need to finish inletting the barrelled action and then fit the hardware. Not the best pics, sorry. more soon as I get the sights done.

DSC00818.jpg

DSC00819.jpg

The stock is based on one of my old patterns reworked to be a blind magazine and to have a little less drop and a more open grip. Not by much though.

Great looking peice of wood.

I used to have intentions of building a rifle with a schnable forend until someone here said they look too "phallic". I just can't warm up to them now. :(

Great looking peice of wood.

I used to have intentions of building a rifle with a schnable forend until someone here said they look to "phallic". I just can't warm up to them now. :(

whats bad about a penis on a gun?

Here's a few more pics. Not great and the metal still has Johnsons Wax all over from when I glass bedded the pattern but you kinda get the idea..

Gotta inlet & finish the stock and make the sights & scope bases, oh, and rust blue it.

DSC00827.jpg

DSC00826.jpg

DSC00825.jpg

Mike, that is going to be gorgeous when done. I love the wood and the metal work is outstanding to match. That must have taken forever to mill that barrel. Does your machine have enough travel to make a pass that long? And I assume a zillion light cuts so not to add stress to the barrel. Wow.

Hey Z1r, How about sharing the dimentions on that barrel. If you have any pics of the set up I would like to see them. Great job!

Muzzle across the flats is .560" and the cylinder ahead of the receiver ring is 1.15". No setup pics sorry. Just an indexer with a tailstock and the appropriate amount of offset to achieve the desired taper.

Mike,

I am also curious about your method. Did you cut the octogon first and then turn the front end? How about timing your thread so that a flat came up top dead center?

Vlad

Vlad, you're asking Mike to give away all his trade secrets :D . Just kidding. Mike would probably tell you anything you wanted to know.

If it was me, I'd cut the octagon first and then time the threads. The most you would have to set it back for a flat to come up on top is .010 (ten thous.) most probably less than that.

I have an indexer and center and a couple of heavy barrels I plan on making into octagon.

If I ever get around to it, I'll take some pictures. It's gonna be a while though with hunting season looming.

Roger

Mike,

I am also curious about your method. Did you cut the octogon first and then turn the front end? How about timing your thread so that a flat came up top dead center?

Vlad

Not sure what you mean by turn the front end?

Taper blank to eliminate most unwanted metal. Thread, chamber, and crown. Mark barrel, cut flats, re-install barrel.

Thank you Mike. That is what I wanted to know and better than the way I had thought of doing it.

Vlad

Yeah, once you get past this it's relatively easy, just time consuming and you need a good mill to get a decent finish. Still, nothing that a lot of hand polishing can't fix. Heck, I once knew a German gunsmith that could whittle an octagon barrel with his pocket knife. Solingen steel dontcha know. :lol:

• 1 year later...

Has this been finished? I would love to see pics of it. I love the oberndorf stocks and am fond of the octagon barrels too. Reminds me of the 'Pliezer' rifles. I like the half octagon as well. Even the style of caliber stamp is a nice touch...details like that are what really stand out and show the craftsmanship thats gone into something. As an aside...Where can one get single piece caliber stamps? Is there anywhere to rent something like that as with reamers? I am really just getting into my first build also a 338-06 and I'll be needing to stamp the barrel soon hopefully.