Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Yugo Mauser Question

AzRednek

What is the difference between the Yugo M-48 and the 24/47?? I noticed J&G is now selling M-48's with cracked stocks for the same 129.99 price as they get for their complete and matching 24/47's. I've purchased two 24/47's from J&G and was really impressed with the bright and shiney bores and the over all shape both are in. Is there any advantage in sporting a M-48 over the 24/47??

What is the difference between the Yugo M-48 and the 24/47?? I noticed J&G is now selling M-48's with cracked stocks for the same 129.99 price as they get for their complete and matching 24/47's. I've purchased two 24/47's from J&G and was really impressed with the bright and shiney bores and the over all shape both are in. Is there any advantage in sporting a M-48 over the 24/47??

I went up there and checked out the M48s . I would grade them as good at best. The 24/47s were much better IMHO. I looked at 4 (M 48s) trying to find one to keep as military. Pitted bolt faces, receivers, etc... not what I would call a candidate for sporting. M 48 has bent bolt, but still won't clear scope on a sporter. So you will be doing the bolt handle anyway. Buy the 24/47. They are better deal some are FN manufactured.

For all intents and purposes they are the same the only real difference being the 24/47 has a staright handle and the M48 has a bent bolt. However, the 24/47's are reworks of the earlier M24 which was pre-war production and of much better quality than the 48. As you say, they tend to have very good bores. If I were offered a choice of rifles sight unseen, I'd pick the 24/47 over the 48.