Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Additions

ken98k

Kool!

I just received my new Husky M146 in 9.3x57 a couple days ago. I ordered two more today. I also got a Husky M46 bbl'd action, also in 9.3x57 last week.

No such thing as too many Mausers!

Oddly, I don't have a K98k. I have a nice barrel from one though, and several sporeters made from them. If I weren't so cheap, I'd have to get one.

Way to go Kenny,and Mike is right.Anytime a gal says your buying too many guns,tell them you'll stop buying them when they stop buying jewelery and shoes they don't need.Most women have more money tied up in jewelery than we do in old Mausers.I don't understand why a woman needs more than one necklace no more than they can figure out why I want a couple more Swede 96's,a Mexican 1936,Jap 38,M1 carbine and Garand,another A3 03,30 or 40 24/47's,a couple Swede sporters before they're gone,Ithica .22 lever action,Ithica 16ga double barrel,and much,much more.Jerry

I was checking these rifles out today and noticed both have stamped trigger guards.

One has locking screws or the holes for them and the other doesn't. I"ve never seen this type of trigger guards except on intermediate length yugos.

Also one of them has no bayonet lug.

I was checking these rifles out today and noticed both have stamped trigger guards.

One has locking screws or the holes for them and the other doesn't. I"ve never seen this type of trigger guards except on intermediate length yugos.

Also one of them has no bayonet lug.

The 98k with a stamped trigger guard most likely is a late 43-44 manufactured Kriegs model (War Model). The manufacturing process was stripped to the essentials only to speed up production. Stamped trigger guards, no provision for locking screws, bolts with no guide ribs and gas ports which were not elongated were very common to this model. Quite a few of these were made at Brno.

Neither of your K98s would have been manufactured with a stamped triggerguard in the years stamped the receiver. Ar code is for Borsigwald, a subsidiary of Oberndorf located, located in the outskirts of Berlin. Bill

I should have read the first thread. You are right on with the code and date data. The stamped trigger guards do not match the receiver data. Was either of these trigger guards fitted with the oversized "winter" trigger loop?

I should have read the first thread. You are right on with the code and date data. The stamped trigger guards do not match the receiver data. Was either of these trigger guards fitted with the oversized "winter" trigger loop?

Neither one had the winter type trigger gaurd.

My best guess is when the Russians or East Germans reworked their massive stocks of 98s they just grabbed parts out of a pile to re-assemble them. Most show signs of having the original serial # sanded off the stock and a new # stamped to match the barreled action. I have 4 like that.

Kenny