Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Inletting And Bedding An 1891 Argie Sporter

Thor

I bought an 1891 Argie 2-3 years ago and put a Swede barrel on it, left in Argie stock. A few months back I bought a Herters Monte Carlo stock on eBay. The seller didn't even know what it was, just cleaning out "pop's" attic after the funeral.

Anyway, I have found it a task to bed it. It was far from 99% inletted. I finally got the top and bottom inletted to fit, but now realize I've got to marry up that triggerguard and magazine to the receiver in order for the magazine to have ammo where it needs to be to feed. I've got a long ways to go.

Anybody ever done one of these? Should I inlet the triggerguard/mag deeper or drop the receiver down lower? By raising the triggerguard, it will change the grip. But by dropping the receiver, the bolt is not going to clear the rollover cheekpiece without removing a lot of wood.

Thor,

I'll assume that the Herter's is generous in grip material. Having had to face a similar scenario I might opt for working bottom up as long as

everything lines up well at present. The stockmaking book that I have recommends inletting the bottom metal first and working from there.

I believe that it's the "David Westbrook" book. However, it's so much work do bring a barreled action down. Especially if it's a ways to go.

How big is your gap at present?

lc aka IZH27

What in the world? IZH, what are you doing over here moving around incognito under the pseudonym "littlecanoe"? Afraid somebody will catch you running around? ;) Frankly, the other forum is boring me. Nothing going on much. Arch hasn't even come out to play in over a week :lol:

We've talked about this stock in the other forum. Seems I may have even tried to sell it to you. :rolleyes: I think I've got it within 1/16" now. It's coming along, just slow work. Rod (Tanglewood) has had the bolt, putting a new handle on it. Supposed to be back in today's mail, along with bolts for my Twede and 1909 Swede. I'll know a whole lot more then, how much more I have to go. Rod also worked on the magazine. It is single stack and designed for .473" brass. It holds the larger Swede brass down lower, and too low for the bolt to catch it to slide into the chamber. Hopefully that works too. I need all these pieces back together before I really have a definitive answer.

I'll let you know more after the mail runs and I get this thing back together. I might be closer than I think. It just looked mighty gappy while I was getting the initial fit. It is definitely different than a Mauser. (I think it was a Mauser creation but lacks the major Mauser features of the 93-98, so I don't consider it a Mauser). You can allow a lot of slop on the later Mausers because it does not have the fitted removable magazine that must mate with the ramp.