Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Do I Adjust My Swede?

roscoedoh

Fellows,

I got my M48 back from my smith today and I made up five rounds to test its feeding. I have read online where some Mauser actions may need adjustment to feed this round properly. That said, the action feeds well enough to hunt with, but I notice where the round jumps out from under the feed rail just as it breaks free from the magazine. I'm thinking I *may* need to open the feed rails right at that point a little so the rounds will be more inclined to slide out than jump out.

Also, should I open the magazine any? I have the formula to calculate how wide it should be at X point, but is the difference between what I have now and what should be big enough to worry about?

I think for 95% of what I plan to do with this rifle, it will work just fine. It's that other 5% that I am curious about.

What do you guys who've built Swedes think?

Thanks,

Jason

Widening the mag where it needs it will not hurt. The rounds must stack correctly before they will feed properly. To do otherwise is simply putting a bandaid on it.

I'd wait on the feedrails though until after I widened the mag. If that doesn't help then try a new spring and or follower first. The feedrails should only be touched when all else fails. You can't put it back on once it comes off.

See if you can find a swede 96 follower.