Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bulgarian Mauser

bobmoffett

A friend of mine has for sale what he has been told is a Bulgarian Mauser. I've have never before heard of such a Mauser. It appears to be a standard M98, with a crest, somewhat similar to a 1909 on the receiver ring. The writting on the left side of the action would appear to be the same or similar to the Russian alphabet. Overall, the rifle appears to be in excellent shape. Anyone have any ideas about this rifle?

If it's a Yugo M24 the crest on the top of the front receiver ring will have the word "Monan" beneath it and M24 or model 24 someplace on the sidewall or front receiver. Early model 24s were manufactured by, or on, FN machinery as FN set up production of this model for the Yugos. Almost all of these rifles were rerurbished following WWII and are M24/48s to distinguishe them from new 1948 production. The Yugos also refurbed K98s and Vz24s, removing original manufactures crests.

If an original early M24, refurbed M24/48, new production M48, M48A, or M48 without a crest, then it will be an intermediate action and use a shorter magazine trigger guard assembly than standard. The bolt will be missing the continuation of the front of the left locking lug, which extends it beyond the face of the bolt and acts as an extracted cartridge guide. These bolts are also shorter than standard. Check out the above info and let us know, one of us can probably identify it and this gives us something to chew our cud about.

I told a friend that talking about guns is the next best thing to shooting them, he said the same was true about sex. Bill

Well it looks like the rifle is a Serbian 1924. Ok fella's what's this thing worth? The best I remember it was in good shape in full battle dress. Not sure if the serial numbers matched or not. He was asking $200 for it.

Serbian 1924? Probably the same as a Yugo 24, made by FN.

$200.00 sounds high to me. Yugoslavian 24-47's are selling for just over $100.00

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh when people call these Serbian. When they were Made the country was called Yugoslavia. When these were first imported there were idnetinfied as Yugoslavian. Then, after years of importation suddenly importers had "serbian" mausers.

Prior to WWl, the Austro-Hungarian Empire controlled a number of slavic/Baltic countries successfully using the "Iron Fist" approch. Following WWI this empire was dissolved and about a zillion neighborhoods became independent countries and immediatly began killing eachother. During WWII Tito began to draw togather Serbia, Croatia, and Boznia (sound familiar?) into a unified country - Yugoslavia. He snuggled up to Russia as a satalite state member of the USSR to gain Soviet influence to support this unification.

So, in 1924 FN was approched by the then independent neighborhood city-state of Serbia (they engineered the assignation of the King of Austria which resulted in WWI) to build a national armory. FN set up the whole operation for manufacturing an early version of the Oberndorf M1898 which had an almost completely sealed breech to prevent case head separations and blown-up rifles. Few parts are interchangable with the standard M98, and, rebarreling in a very involved process, adding considerably to the costs (also true for sporterizing). Very few of the seal breech version were sold as smokless powder and brass technology were greatly improved by 1920.

There is no difference in stamping or marking to distinguish between early FN or Serbian manufacture. This is the Serbian Model 1924, sometimes refered to as the Yugo M24. These rifles were refurbed in 1948 and then became M24/48s, leaving an opening for the "Who Cares" milsurp distributors who were also selling "Turk M38s" with the same degree of concern for historical accuracy. In addition, this arsenal began producing commercial M98 Mausers which were sold as the "MarkX" brand.

To further complicate the issue, the arsenal also began new production of the original M1924 (M24) with a bent down bolt and a few other changes with 3 variations in receiver stampings. Also, the refurbing of early pre WWII Czech Vz24s as M24/56(?) and Russian captured K98s. Manufacture of military M48s continued thru the Bosnian War. Marstar of Canada had a fairly complete and concise list of models at one time. The U.S. finally destroyed this arsenal, when the Serbs refused to conform to the cease fire agreements of the Bosnian War, the last business manufacturing M98 commercial rifles was gone.

It's difficult to remember all the models and designations without a pile of reflerence books, especially since all this info must then pass thru the Swiss Cheeze brain of a blank-eyed man of my age. Apologies for any sins of omission or commission in this info. Bill

Seems the reference I used was in error claiming that Yugoslavia came into existence in 1924 rather than 1929. Still, in 1924 when these rifles were made, Serbia was part of the Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes which was formed in 1918 and renamed in October 1929 to the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. Again, not an independent state.

That last true Serbian rifle (mauser) that I am aware of is the 1910. Prior to that they used a 1908 more of '95, and other pre-98s.

Seems the reference I used was in error claiming that Yugoslavia came into existence in 1924 rather than 1929. Still, in 1924 when these rifles were made, Serbia was part of the Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes which was formed in 1918 and renamed in October 1929 to the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. Again, not an independent state.

That last true Serbian rifle (mauser) that I am aware of is the 1910. Prior to that they used a 1908 more of '95, and other pre-98s.

There was also a Serbian 99 made in Germany