Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Redding Profile Crimp

AzRednek

Does anybody know anything about the profile crimp?? Is there something special about it or is hype to sell an unnecessary tool. What I want to do is put a roll crimp on 45 auto rim. I tried grinding down a 45 Colt but it didn't crimp it as deep as I want and it often crimps off center. The taper crimp is ok but occasionally I'll have a slug back out from recoil and I don't want to have to bear down hard enough and deform the cast lead slug. As far as I know there isn't anybody that makes a roll crimp die for the auto rim cartridge as the manufactures are probably worried about the liability in case Bubba uses it on a 45 ACP.

I've used one on my .44 mag since the 80's. A great device. Keeps the case from bulging when you are trying to get a hard crimp. Basically both a taper & roll crimp die all in one.

• 7 months later...

Thx Doc, I also use a taper crimp on my auto loaders. My 45 Auto rim revolver's rounds unless they are heavily crimped will work their way out of the cartridge case from recoil from hot loads. Hopefully this new crimp die works and holds the heavy bullets in place.