Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mauser conversion to .223??

jl2695

I know this has probably been done by someone somewhere but what are the pros and cons of sporterizing a Turk 1903 or 1893 into a .223 varmint gun? Is the case head size a problem being smaller than an 8mm? I'm thinking a .243 would probably be a good caliber also to consider but I was hoping to stay with the cheap ammo. .223 can be readily had for a reasonable price almost anywhere.

Bolt face and feeding are your challenges - not an easy conversion.

The Yugo 8 mm surplus is dirt cheap by the case right now. Why don't you buy a few cases of 198 gr varmint cartridges ( biggrin.gif ).

22/250? 6mm rem? any of the Bench rest cartidges: 6mm, 7mm, etc. (single shot would probably be your best bet since they're SOOO short).

if you really want a .223, charles daly makes them....

I know Numrich sells an extractor claw that is left 'long' so you can grind it down to your own case size. I would think this is the way you would want to go for extraction. Now guys help me out here, but I know that I've seen someone that sells stripped bolts that have bolt face designed for the .223, I just can't for the life of me remember where I saw it. Since .243 is based off of a .308 case, they're right, it's a far simpler conversion, but don't let lack of simplicity deter you from trying something unique!!!

I also have to agree with Doble Troble, 8mm ammo is really really cheap in turk surplus rounds. Last weekend I saw 70 round bandoliers (including stipper clips) for 2.50! I can't even load the .223 for that cheap. I also have to say that I love his thinking. I can tell you first hand what a 200 grain partition does to a white tail deer at 30 yards, but man would I love to see a prairie puppy go airborne when some of those turk surplus heads hit's em!

BTW-Turk surplus is all steel jacketed, so you can have lots of fun plinking!

Plink.

Plink.

mimic

Brownells sells a blank extractor that can be cut to fit the ,223:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...ail.aspx?p=9490

I have one of these and a custom .223 reamer [.250" neck and .030" shorter neck] on order from Manson. I intend to convert a 1903 Turk to .223.

The book, "Introduction to Gunsmiithing" by Macfarland, shows siflver soldering of a small plate on the Mauser extractor for conversion to the .222.

Randy Ketchum of Lynwood Guns has a Turk in his store that he converted to .223, but welding an AR15 magazine to the mag bottom. I am not going to do that, as I will use my .223 single shot.

If you are going to spend the money on a good varmit barrel, and all the parts for turning a Turk into a 223 I think that you would be better off buying a Savage heavy barreled 223 Rem. Savages are easy to rebarrel and tinker with and are darn accurate.

Not saying that it wouldn't be a rewarding project, but that a 70 dollar rifle, 190 dollar barrel, 30 dollar trigger, 60 dollar stock adds up to 350 bucks before scope rings and bases, acraglass and miscellanious parts.

I'd keep searching the used gun racks because heavy barreled 223's show up all the time, and a lot of them just need a really good cleaning job to turn them into top shooters. Brand new Savage 10FP's from Dixie Ammo Dump http://www.armthepopulace.com/ only cost $130 bucks more than the parts necessary to begin modifying a Turk.

Just my advice.

Jimro

Gotta second jimro's advice. The new Stevens 200, a stripped down savage, sells for a mere $279 round these parts. You could easily buy a pre-threaded premium barrel and for less than $500 have a really nice rig, or just buy the 10fp.