Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Oil - Stained Wood

Bob58

I have a shotgun buttstock that is stained from lubricating oil running down from the receiver. I am refinishing, have removed the finish but don't know how to succesfully remove the dark oil or the stain. Any ideas?

Brownells used to carry a product called "Whiting". I believe it is finely ground chalk. You mix it with methyl alcohol and paint it on the oily areas and let it dry. Then apply heat to drive the oil into the whiting. When it turns dark, brush it off and re-apply enough times to where it doesn't discolor any more. Finally, wipe the area down with acetone and re-finish. I've used it on many milsurp restorations and it works like a charm.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I experimented with oxalic acid on another similar project and it worked well with lightening the color but not sure it drew or "dissolved" the oil out very well. I then neutralized with baking soda/water. If you don't neutralize your finish never really dries.