Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Hacked Into My Ebay Acct.

FC

Dang Tony,you rich people have to learn that your a target for every scam artist.I keep getting emails claiming my pay-pal information needs updating,and I don't have a pay-pal account.I contacted ebay several times,and each time they thank me with the same return message,but I still get them.Hope you get it staightened out.Your having hell in Paradise.Jerry

I got to thinking about you wondering why anybody would try to sell under your name,and I reckon they could sell all kinds of stuff they don't have,get the payments with out having the goods.Folks would be sending them free money.It's the ocean front property in Arizona scam. Jerry

Tony if you used the same or similiar password to access your papypal account access it immedialty, empty it and remove your bank account or credit card you used to secure the account. Mine was hacked but I just happened to go into at the same time and stopped a withdrawal. This was back a few years ago when PayPal had real English speaking people on the phone, don't know how well it will work today. The Hacker also got into my address book and easily figured out my mother's maiden name and got my password. Check you bank account dailey for withdrawals.

Don't buy anything over the net!

Find the address and order over the phone.

Keep a special credit card with a small limit to use when you deal with a new firm.

The net is not secure.

If Hackers have gotten into the Pentagon, they sure as heck can get into e-bay.

Don't leave your computer powered up all the time, that just gives folks more time to get in them.

Plug your computer into a power strip and turn the power strip "OFF" when you are not using the computer.

I have read that as long as the computer is plugged into a live power source, it can be assessed via the net even if it is shut down".

Paranoid Karl

MR. Karl is right.You can,with even the right cell phone, access your computer when it's in standby mode..

I can attest to that cause I have a phone that can do it.My 2 girls phones can too. I can even send pics into

" my Photos" in my computer..When I get home,the pics are there...Just my .035 cents worth....Dave

Tony,

Change all your PW's now Set up various "security" levels of PW, so you don't use the same PW or a derivitive for money transactions as you do to log onto this site, for example. It sounds like you had a major security breach. Maybe a virus/trojan on your machine.

They hack your eBay account as part of the Nigerian scams. We see Esprits on there all the time on hacked accounts. They take someone else's high value auction, copy it and list it under a hacked account, frequently at a "super bargain" price, like a 20K car for 10K buy-it-now. Then they email back and forth with the rest of the scam: I'm a service man in England, the car is in Florida, wire the funds to me here, etc. There are multiple variations on it.

Don't buy anything over the net!

Find the address and order over the phone.

Keep a special credit card with a small limit to use when you deal with a new firm.

The net is not secure.

If Hackers have gotten into the Pentagon, they sure as heck can get into e-bay.

Don't leave your computer powered up all the time, that just gives folks more time to get in them.

Plug your computer into a power strip and turn the power strip "OFF" when you are not using the computer.

I have read that as long as the computer is plugged into a live power source, it can be assessed via the net even if it is shut down".

Paranoid Karl

More credit info is stolen from "traditional" sources than off the internet.

As a general rule people don't hack into ebay accounts as its too easy to get into with your help. If you ever get an email from ebay or paypal never click on the link it asks you to go to. Its called phishing. Go to there web site on your own through your web browser. Basically when you click on the link through your e-mail you give the phisher access to your account and the can than take over your ebay account. Why do i know because after i told my wife never to directly respond out of an e-mail she did and i found out i was selling a quad from new jersey by way of a nigerian in england. didn't take very long to correct but the lady i got hold of was ready to send a $2000 money order to england.

Hello z1r.

You may well be right.

But I am careful about them too.

take care

karl

As we all should be. I am always amazed at how laxly (if that's a word) our personal information is treated by third parties. I see stuff with SSN's on it just lying around at worksites sometimes. Makes me shudder.

your right about the ssn, where i work thats the no. the company uses to track all of our training and safty stuff ...its posted every were ....then when our birthdays come around its also posted ...we complain but were told that just the way we do it here...

Whenever someone, who I don't think should have it, asks for my SS#, I kinda sorta write the wrong number.

Silly me

karl : )

I've been looking for a job for a few months now, and am amazed that all the Government jobs want your SSN. This just bugs the crap out of me. Especially since most are for mundane jobs like Accounting and the like. What do they need my SSN for?

I made a ilot harder passwords.

When someplace asks for my birthdate, I routinely give a date that is close, but it's always the same wrong date.

I do the same thing with the date and phone numbers, it keeps the telemarketers away. Someone was sending emails out under me ebay account a few years ago and a member here (I can't remenber who) got one and informed me. Since then, I changed alll my passwords and I haven't had any more issues, other than the 2 or 3 phishing emails I get a week.

-Don

went to a goverment car sale here a while back, and the lady at the counter kept asking for SS #'s. When i reached the desk, i saw what she was doing. She had all customers sign in and write their number on a post it note, then she threw them in the trash, not shreeding them or anything. i was relunctant to give mine, we went around or two, but after trying to skip sign in ( i wasn't going to buy a car, dad was), and the door man grabbing me by the jacket, while i polietly grabbed his neck and told him if he wanted to have a head left, he'd let go, i was forced to sign in. Bunch of bs. I'm surprised they didn't ask when i ate last and what type of tobacco i chewed.

Brenden