Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Ruger No.1

machinist1

machinist,

A lot of it depends on body build also. I'm about 5'8" and carry most of the weight in my chest. Because of that I have a bit different angle on my butt plates than my friend who is taller and lighter than me. At least to some degree body build will come into play.

I know that I didn't answer the question but for a good weld to the stock that shoulder fit is important. I have a stock making book that made it all come to light for me. Wish that I could link you to some good info on the Web.

Here is a link to the book. It has some nice B & W pics and what I thought was very good detail on components of a stock, stock set up etc...

Maybe someone else who has the book can give some insight also.

D. Wesbrook "Professional Stock Making"

BTW, I live about 100 miles from Louisville.

Edited to add: Just realized. Looks like the book is out of print. Maybe it's floating around on the used market.

unless your pretty skinny it looks like the toe of the stock is a little long being as the stock is long to start with you might want to cut it further back for a test fit of the angle then adjust till it feels right and transfer that line to your trigger pull length and recut that way if your angle isnt right you arent stuck with it or a short length of pull when angle is adjusted i see this alot on trapp guns that are adjusted to an individual shooter a buddy of mine is real skinny and if i shoot his gun the toe digs into my chest if he shoots mine it digs in the top of his shoulder hope this helps

james

It looks to me like you have no pitch in that stock. The toe will slam you in the pec and the muzzle will pivot up when fired, oh, and it'll hurt like a bear.

That's just my impression form the pics. Verify that you have sufficient pitch.

I just went through the same thing with a Ruger tang safety 77 in 9.3x62. I wondered why that rifles hurt so much to shoot. I've shot harder kickers that hust much less. I called a stockmaker friend of mine who diagnosed the problem. The previous owner installed a pad and in the process eliminated any pitch. I felt silly for overlooking it but I suppose I took it on faith that the install had been done properly. Lesson learned.

• 1 month later...

Machinist,

Looks like you're gonna have a bit of cast to the stock and the toe out position will really make that rifle snuggle in to your shoulder better. If I was gonna be up your way anytime soon I'd bring the stock that I'm working on for comparison. It gives a great feel for the way a properly tuned stock can fit the shoulder. I can close my eyes and shoulder the rifle and when I open my eyes I'm sighting down the barrel.

lc

• 2 weeks later...

Littlecanoe,

I'm sorry that I didn't reply sooner as I have been on vacation. I think that the castoff will fit me good. I'm looking for the proper fit without having to shift the rifle around to get a good sight picture. The castoff will also give me more meat on the check piece for a good check weld. I've started inletting the fore end. I thinking of doing an ebony fore end tip.

By the way I just got home from the National Gun day show. It was disapointing to say the least.

Bob