Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Inherited Another Deer Rifle Today

911rat

Today I was told that I inherited my grandfather's deer rifle. I kind of have some mixed emotions about the whole thing, which strikes me as a bit odd. It was only a few years ago that my father gave me his dad's old Winchester 30-30. I worked up some good hand loads and I've taken it out every deer season since hoping to put venison in the freezer with it. I filled my doe tag with it last season, probably the first time that rifle's taken a deer since my grandfather "upgraded" to a 30-06 in the 70's (my brother has the 30-06).

Anyway, my mothers dad, realizing he probably wouldn't use his old rifle again, gave it to my uncle a few years ago. My grandfather passed away last December. I remember visiting my grandfather a year or so ago and he had mentioned that he gave the rifle to my uncle hoping he'd use it to go deer hunting but he never did. There aren't really any hunters in my mom's family.

Yesterday my uncle brought the old rifle with him when the family visited my grandmother for mother's day. My uncle gave my parents the rifle to give to me. He felt my grandfather would want me to have it. It's at my parents house now.

It's a Savage 99 in .300 Savage. I haven't seen it in at least 10 years. It was always kept in a case in the hall closet. My father says it looks almost new but could use a good cleaning and there's an old box of shells with it with 12 left. Probably the only box my grandfather ever bought. He wasn't much of a hunter and probably bought it just to go "up North" with the guys.

Looks like I'll be needing some .300 Savage dies and some time at the range. And yes, I plan to put some meat in the freezer with it.

That's awesome! It's really great that your uncle wanted it to be passed to someone in the family that would use and appreciate it. Hats off to him for being that thoughtful.

Sounds like you have a couple great heirloom pieces to keep in your family.

Sorry to hear that you came by that sweet 99 by way of inheritnce but, at least your uncle was a good man and realized that you would carry on in your grandfathers footsteps.

I always wanted a 99 in .300 Savage.

Please post some pics when you get a chance. And take good care of your gradfather's rifle, it would make him proud.

Thanks all.

Plumbum, we currently hunt Eastern Roscommon County.

I look forward to cleaning it up and shooting it. I just priced brass, egads! did prices really go that high? And loaded ammo is over $20 a box?

I'm open to stock cleaning suggestions. I've never tried to clean up a stock without damaging the finish before. I figure it could use a good cleaning and I don't want to damage the finish or the checkering.

Also if anyone has any 300 Savage pet loads I'm all ears.

to clean such a stock always start with plain ol' mineral spirits. BBQ lighter fluid is an odorless version in a handy dispenser bottle. turpentine works well too and smells good (to me).

if mineral spirits don't work try an antique finish cleaner from lowe's or home despot.

I worked up a pretty good load for mine with 150-gr bullets, I will look it up when I get home and let you know what it was. IIRC it did MOA with a scope.

alrighty. using win vases, wlr primers, and win 150 gr psp bullets:

39.0 IMR 4895 2430 fps 1 moa

40.0 IMR 4895 2470 fps 1.4 moa

41.0 varget 2560 fps 1 moa

41.5 varget 2620 fps 2-ish moa

42.0 varget 2650 fps 1 moa

these were shot at 50 yds, the 1 moa loads were all 3 holes touching. this was off bags and a bench, with a leupold 3-9 scope. chrono readings were at 10 ft. 4064 did not do as well, neither did 3031. this is in a 1940s 99R, 24" barrel IIRC.

Cool, Thanks.

I have both those powders.

I looked through my reloading stuff last night and found this in 30 cal excluding match types and FMJ;

165gr Partitions

165gr Accubonds

150gr Accubonds

150gr Sierra FP

170gr Hornady FP

170gr Partition RN

170gr Rem Core Lokt

I'm leaning toward the 150gr Accubonds, but I'm willing to bet the 170gr bullets for the 30-30 would be an awesome deer load at 300 Savage velocities at iron sight ranges. The gun has no scope, nor is it drilled and tapped so it'll never have one. Serial number puts it right around 1951.

Picked it up today, updated with pics, bluing is almost 100%. One small ding in the stock, 2 small scratches on the receiver. Wood looks great but a little "dry" The thing is beautiful! Pics didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped.

DSCN1141.jpgDSCN1142.jpgDSCN1143.jpg

tell ya what. clean that stock with a mix of turpentine and boiled linseed oil, about 3:1. that and a bristle brush and a soft cloth. clean it once a day for a few days and you will be quite pleased. as always, try on a small area first.

tell ya what. clean that stock with a mix of turpentine and boiled linseed oil, about 3:1. that and a bristle brush and a soft cloth. clean it once a day for a few days and you will be quite pleased. as always, try on a small area first.

Pretty much what I had in mind. The wood looks "bleached" Like the stain faded. It is evident when the butt plate's removed that there is a stain on it. I'm thinking of adding a step of a applying some Solar Lux American Walnut thinned about 8-1 with DA to bring back and even out some of the tones. Then a coat of BLO, but not enough to make a sheen. I'm not sure what the original finish is but it sure looks like an oil finish.

I really never cared for semi-buckhorn sights, but they line up automatically when it's brought to the shoulder.

I sent my Uncle a very sincere thank you today.

Edit; does anyone know how to check which model this is?

You know when a rifle gets passed down it always seems bittersweet. I hope I live long enough to pass on most my my rifles to the younger generation while I'm still alive and shoot a couple boxes with them to build some good memories. Don't have any children (yet), but I've got a bushel of nieces and one nephew :)

Jimro

Pretty much what I had in mind. The wood looks "bleached" Like the stain faded. It is evident when the butt plate's removed that there is a stain on it. I'm thinking of adding a step of a applying some Solar Lux American Walnut thinned about 8-1 with DA to bring back and even out some of the tones. Then a coat of BLO, but not enough to make a sheen. I'm not sure what the original finish is but it sure looks like an oil finish.

I really never cared for semi-buckhorn sights, but they line up automatically when it's brought to the shoulder.

I sent my Uncle a very sincere thank you today.

Edit; does anyone know how to check which model this is?

you may not need the stain. to see if you do, wet the stock with turp or mineral spirits. the dry wood will darken. if the stock tone looks good, then add the thinned blo in thin coats, wiped off.

as to the model, remove the forearm and there should be a letter stamped in the front of the receiver.

the folks at 24 hr campfire can help, they have a useful savage forum. BTW if the lever is blued the rifle was refinished. they were color case hardened originally.